*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Aristotelhs2060

Aristotelhs2060 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well mine was almost noiseless while not doing much (could not even hear the fans). Under standard CPU tests temps were generally fine too. Try farcry 5. This is the real deal. Also try run the CPU stress test using XTU and check if you get any thermal or power limit throttle. I believe the temps you refer to are average temps. Did you get any temp spikes?

I hope this is true and no-repaste is needed but seems too good to be true. I cannot think the new bios did such a big improvement.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is out of the box, and -175mV through XTU.

If I remove the undervolting then it will go 85C-90C.

As you can see this is not at all comparable to the previous one... It must have been a defective/badly fitted heatsink on the previous one!

2018-06-13 19_41_25-Greenshot_s.jpg

3. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    It may be the bios too. Can you set the windows power plan to performance? The frequency dropped to 798MHz. Are these temps under CPU stress test? Temps do not show any thermal throttle but frequency dropped to 797MHz. I cannot see if there was any thermal throttle under HWinfo.
    Do the following:
    1) set windows power plan to performance
    2) set fan speed to performance in alien command center or bios
    3) run hwinfo
    4) run farcry 5 for 30 minutes or so
    5) take screenshot of ALL Hwinfo information

Thanks.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I can't see this new ain't much better than what you returned in May. If you had put same voltage for the previous one the results would be about equal. Compare Cpu Package Power. More wattage = More Heat.
    [​IMG]

Jzyftw, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. doofus99

Reputations:
    No, it is different, for the better, look at these graphs, I have removed the CPU undervolt just for a laugh.

But I am having a problem with the GPU. It draws over 180W, reaches 204W !!! and it throttles continuously. I have stuttering in the game. I have no controls over the GPU and I have no idea if this can be fixed by increasing its limits or maybe reducing its clocks ? Any ideas? I could reduce the graphics settings but surely there can be a clever way?

Top left two graphs, you can see I raised the CPU voltage (removed the undervolt) and the CPU power jumped to the 45W and the temp also jumped to around 75C-80C. Sounds much tamer to me than the previous one.

But now look at the GPU, it's gone mad, pulling over 180W which is its limit. Can someone please help me ? It is the GTX 1080. Thank you!

2018-06-13 22_56_38-Greenshot_s.jpg

6. doofus99

Reputations:
    Here it is running with everything on (almost) CPU at 45W, GPU at 180W, no undervolt, no repaste, 22C ambient. As you can see the CPU does not throttle thermally (bottom left chart) whereas in the past it was throttling continuously. OK, it does jump to the low 90s but it is containable, whereas in the past it was not at all.

This is a good base from where to start. We can undervolt, repaste, repaste with LM, we can improve it. Just the -150mV undervolt will bring the CPU down to the 70C and we are happy.

2018-06-13 23_09_10-Greenshot_s.jpg

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    doofus99 please run hwinfo while playing farcry 5 without undervolt. Mine was fine untill I tried that. And I did not have any undervolt, only repaste with thermal grizzly kryonaut (which was applied very bad). To my experience with this machine, farcry 5 is the gold standard for cpu and gpu temps combination. This game is like pushing temps to their limits. But it sounds strange it is the GPU that causes throttle.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Don't look only on peak temp. See also current temp. 83C with 44w package load. Vs. previous 78C and a bit lower 34w. The differences is all too low to say this is significant better.

FYI. Seems PCH temp on the newer MB is worse. 97C with Power limit PL1 locked to 45W is bad. And 77C on the ssd's with this low load aint good (The Hynix NVMe ssd's normally don't run as hot as this). There is much more than just the problematic Cpu temp on this replacement machine.

Edit. If you want test your ssd temp, then run ATTO Disk Benchmark 3-4 times in a row.
    upload_2018-6-14_1-49-27.png

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  9. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dont make it worse than it is ;)
    With an undervolt, an ssd Heatsink and a cooling pad on the pch Chip this machine is fine. Yes, it should run out of the box this way... but we know this is not the case. And if we want to have the built quality and service of Alienware we have to live with the bad sides and fix it ourselfs.

With LM i can run 4.7ghz with 110w package load and have temps in the high 70s during gaming.

FC5 generates an average 55w package load at 4.5ghz with max 80w on my Laptop ;)

I just want to say that the cooling system of the r5 has high potential and with a bit love this rig is awesome.

@doofus99 you make nice records all the time but you are not able to interpretate them. Your GPU is working fine. You play in 4k, your GPU runs Full Load. That means the GPU is drawing all the power it is allowed to and will be limited when exceeding this limit. Your GPU is fine. There would be a problem if it would draw less power ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Aristotelhs2060

Reputations:
    Totally agree with captn.ko. I think captn.ko was the first to solve all the issues on R5. We just have to do all that. Regarding SSDs, it is true that hynix should not run so hot because they are slow. Mine wasn't running so hot. My samsung PM960 were running over 90 (during benchmarks) but dropped to about 70 with a relatively cheap cooling pad/heatsink from amazon.

By the way can we put a thermal paste/heatsink on PCH instead of thermal pad/heatsink?

Vistar Shook likes this.