*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ADDpillz

ADDpillz Newbie

Reputations:
    Was also considering using K5 Pro and I think you just sold me. Probably going to use phobya nanogrease as my paste. Thanks for letting me know!

Edit:
    Sorry, I'm not very literate on computer components. I noticed that the new copper Heatsink has a much larger surface and places additional pads on other components that were not covered by the original heatsink. Are those surfaces safe for K5 Pro paste as well? I was literally planning on just putting K5 Pro on every component that the new copper heatsink pad would have touched.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    c69k likes this.
  2. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep put K5 on everything and your good to go...
    go a little over the top with the K5 it's meant to be applied that way....

Good luck

c69k likes this.
  3. Jammeista

Jammeista Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, need a new LCD for my AW 17 R4, wanted to ask if anyone here has tried to order one from Ebay or Alibaba in the past.
    There are some decent priced listings when searching for my current panel (Part no. WJGD4) though many say they "might ship a similar / compatible panel" so might risk getting something else. Might be common practice, not entirely sure.
    If anyone have any experiences or tips on what to look for or any other recommended panels/part numbers that would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

4. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi ... if you have the 1920x1080 model then find the LG panel ( Dell part #JWGJ6 LG Model # LGD0513) ... and *not* the AUOptronics panel. The LG panel is absolutely gorgeous (400nits) and easily overclocks to 100hz. I've been running mine at 100hz for over 4 years and zero issues. The AU panel is reportedly not nearly as good color/brightness wise and does not overclock at all so you'd be stuck at 60hz. The LGD0513 might be tough to find, though ... best of luck.

Jammeista and MogRules like this.
  5. Jammeista

Reputations:
    Sorry mate my bad, forgot to mention I have the 2560x1440 QHD, this is the spech:
    391-BCXE : 17.3 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits Display with Tobii IR Eye-tracking
    WJGD4

6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you want the same resolution, your screen model is B173QTN01.0, but you should search for B173QTN01.4 for replacement as that one has fixed the horizontal banding issue.

Jammeista and MogRules like this.
  7. Jammeista

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch mate, one of the suppliers I've been in contact with have these compatible models in stock:

B173QTN01.5
    B173QTN01.2
    B173QTN01.0

Any idea how the 1.5 is vs the 1.4?

There are some options on Ebay for 1.4 and 1.5 which are quite cheap from China, any experience ordering directly from China through Ebay or Aliexpress?

8. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    These are just display revision numbers, so I'd go with the 1.5 out of those three as it's newer than 1.4. The other two probably have the banding issue still.

I did order several displays from China for my old Sony Vaio 13", usually they were good, once the display had a few vertical lines, but they went away.

Jammeista likes this.
  9. Jammeista

Reputations:
    Thanks alot guys, the supplier didn't have any option to choose between 1.0, 1.2 and 1.5, one would receive what was in stock on the time of order so I ended up going for a B173QTN01.4 on Ebay. Crossing fingers!

10. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I once had a small app that I could use a slider to adjust fan speeds on the fly with my R4 17 but for the life of me I can't remember what that app was; can anybody recommend a good app to quickly adjust fan speeds? I like to run native when just browsing and what not but when gaming, I prefer to put fan speeds at max. Thanks for any input ...