*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the 120hz 1400p screen was really the sweet spot for that generation IMO, but if you search you might be able to find a 120/144hz 1080p variant that might work as well. The QHD panel is nice, but some games struggle at 1440p even with my 1080, so the 1070 would have a harder time again. That being said the game I am thinking of that has a hard time is ARK and that bloody game struggles with everything...so....

Going from QHD back to FHD on the Area-51m took some adjustment for sure. I really miss that QHD res.

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New BIOS is out, but it disables undervolting as a fix to one of the vulnerabilities.

BTW, It's strange they still don't have anything beyond a FHD screen for the Area 51M. Not that I'd consider buying it with the current Intel heaters, though. I hope they come to their senses and release a variant with the upcoming Zen 3 Ryzens.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It comes with a UHD screen option as well? Unless the website isn't showing it at the moment, but it was an option.

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be; I went to check and only saw FHD 300Hz and 360Hz option. I'd expect them to offer the new 4K 120Hz option like Razer has on their latest Blade 17s.

But, in any case, I'm only updating to an Area 51M which works on a single 330W PSU unit (which could be done with some Ryzen CPUs I guess).

5. mihaispd

mihaispd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So...NO go with this 1.10 bios version?
    Did you find the undervolting gone in TS or?

6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not really. There's the list of CVE's it solves (one of which is the plundervolt exploit, presumably) as someone posted on the Alienware forums how his 15 R3 doesn't undervolt anymore.

You're welcome to try if you want to be 100% sure, but the guy also said he failed to revert it.

MogRules likes this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Being that it is gone from the 15R3 and that usually shares a BIOS with the 17R4 we are assuming it's also gone. Someone on Reddit may have said that it's gone for the 17R4, I honestly can't remember. Several models have fallen to plundervolt recently. I have let everyone on Reddit know that most likely the 17R4 and R5 are now affected and they should just assume that any new BIOS will remove undervolting unless someone confirms otherwise.

DreDre likes this.
  8. mihaispd

Reputations:
    From what i know there are the same motherboards.
    So...if for 15R3 the plundervolt wont work anymore and no bios downgrade...is this a pushing to BUY new hardware?

9. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Read my thread "The Black list". Each new bios update forward will contain same security patches. Plundervolt is one of them. + new one will be added to the list.

10. mihaispd

Reputations:
    Well...that means going back to 1.0.7. That was the last bios acceptable for performance/temps acceptable. 1.0.9 raised the PCH 8-9 degrees(same cooling solution - aluminium and kryonaut).
    I tried undervolting the iGpu but in vain. Im going to try and downgrade back to 1.0.7 ...after disable overclocking and set default bios, usb. We will see but so far that means no more bios updates as caution measure.

MogRules and Papusan like this.