*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was thinking about that but as you mention, changing from UEFI to legacy mode will most likely brick the windows install ...

Thanks,
    Joel

2. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Disable secure boot in Bios, while keeping it UEFI. After Windows 10 installs (restores), during the 10 seconds countdown re-start enable secure boot back on.

Let me know if this is it, please.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone is curious you can go back from 1.8.0 to 1.7.0. I was having some hanging on startup and I want to see if it was bios related. You can straight flash back using the Dell exe , no need to use the USB method.

Vasudev and c69k like this.
  4. cope123abc

cope123abc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Picking up another 17 r4 today 7820HQ/ GTX 1080 and will carry out all the thermal mods from the guides as I did with my 6820HK and LM everything.
    Was just wondering, this new one has the 7820HQ... obviously, I want to overlock her and push it to the limits, is there a specific guide for the 7820HQ?
    Can't seem to find much on people fine-tuning this CPU, unless I have missed one big ass thread !!

Will i need to sort out the heatsink tripod as i did with the 6820HK one

Thanks in advance guys.

5. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On 1.8.0

Maybe it's just in my head but I feel like CPU performance has dropped coming from 1.6.0. I should have done some more benchmarks before updating. Might try to go back.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your probably not imagining it, most of the Intel patches have affected performance. Intel has royally screwed all of us with all the spectre / meltdown / whatever else garbage that has come out in the last few years. Performance has taken a definite hit.

7. s1rrah

Reputations:
    RE: the whole bios version issue?

I've been on 1.7.0 for about two years and it is very solid. However, for some reason my mini display port output to an external monitor got bricked a bit back and so I've been using the HDMI output to my external monitor. I of course can't do 120hz via HDMI so I've really been wanting to fix the mini display port output. Reinstall of windows did nothing which tells me it's hardware and so I thought a bios update might fix it.

That being said ... once I update to 1.8.0, how can I find the 1.7.0 executable to flash back if 1.8.0 sucks or breaks something? Is it store somewhere on the Dell site? Do any of you folk have a copy you could forward?

Thanks,
    Joel

Vasudev likes this.
  8. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Another more serious question: I started the 1.8.0 update and the machine rebooted to a bios screen stating that the bios upgrade had begun, that the keyboard was locked, etc. I left the machine to do it's thing and when I came back about 15 mins later, the screen is black and the fans are running at max speeds. I'm not sure whether to restart the machine or just let it sit there with the black screen and running fans.

Is this normal? I'm getting paranoid that the bios update might have bricked my machine (17 R4) ...

Any suggestions? Let it sit like that or restart?

Thanks
    Joel

9. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Leave it as long as your comfortable doing so, but most of the time when this happens it's stuck and probably won't reboot on it's own. Mine did this a long time ago with a bios update and after 30 minutes of black screen I force powered it off and restarted. I got lucky and it was ok and came back, albeit on the older bios but it did start. Others have also had this happen and been ok, but obviously no one can say for sure. I would leave it as long as you can.

As for the older bios, if you go to the Dell support site and enter your service tag and then go to the bios there should be a small option called Older Versions right beside the revision number of the new bios. You should be able to access every bios for the machine ever released. I see everything right back to 1.0.2. You can go back from 1.8.0 to 1.7.0, I did it to rule out something awhile back but there isn't much point I don't think. I also don't think this will fix your display port but let us know, curious either way.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Vasudev and iunlock like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're using Skylake based AW TB3 port might not work sometimes because older revision used TI PD chip which is faulty and could kill the entire board and laptop like a real Lighting.
    So, I tried many TB3 cables to no avail. Even @custom90gt tried his best to help me and I confirmed that the HW is disabled by Dell, Lenovo and other on their Skylake versions!