*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Rx7Jordan

Rx7Jordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a used 1tb 960 evo (has 69tbw on it)

anyways I cloned my x400 128gb to the 1tb 960e using Samsung migration software... After switching from raid mode to achi and as well as booting from the drive my CURRENT speeds are 2895 sequential read/1471 sequential write and 255,371 random read/161,376 random write.

Shouldn’t these speeds be MUCH higher ? So far I installed the Samsung nvme driver but no improvements. I do have intel rapid storage technology installed.. does that affect anything ?

The Samsung magician speed test before I cloned the drive,before switching to achi and while not booting from showed 3125 sequential read / 1855 sequential write and 82031 random read / 7348 random write

2. homebrewdr

homebrewdr Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys. I definitely had this alienware 17r4 for about a year and a half. I got it refurbished and it definitely didn't say it had tobii eye tracking. I figured it didn't because it said it didn't.

Today I was in device manager and saw "eyechip". I saw it before and figured it was a webcam. Guess what, its tobii. Works and all. Super cool.

3. ilyxa742

ilyxa742 Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys help advice. Now I have 17 r4 gtx 1070 with a 1440p g-sync screen. What a chance to get me g-sync with lcd uhd 60Hz b173zan01.0? I want to replace the screen ... All these terrible white lines ... 20181005_161842.jpg

4. dark-scion

dark-scion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys I have the old Alienware 17 R4 and tested my Samsung PM961 SSD do you is this normal?
    it seems the temps are too high and read seq too low? or i tested it wrong?
    Im new so help me guys..

crystal test.PNG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  6. dark-scion

Reputations:
    How about this... any comments?

ATTO Disk Benchmark
    atto.PNG

AS SDD Benchmark
    AS SSD Benchmark.PNG

Attached Files:

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I would RMA this Samsung ssd. At least test it in another computer. Backup important data and try the other ssd.

Edit. Could you post the PCH temp after testing(Hwinfo64)

8. dark-scion

Reputations:
    Dell support sent me Toshiba KXG50ZNV512G (XG5?) you do think its better than my Samsung P961?

Also about important data, I have personal data on my SSD such as bank accounts. Can they still see it and recover even after deleting it on my SSD? how can I prevent it?

here's the PCH
    for some reasons Read seq goes up
    pch.PNG

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The NVMe drive is not the problem. It's the product the drive is installed in. This is known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, periods of unconsciousness, and in extreme cases even death.

Chicken fried SSD anyone? 215.6°F (102°C) is just over the boiling point for water.
    upload_2018-10-12_12-47-26.png

You can run secure erase on it. That will make any data recovery difficult if not impossible, and it is extremely unlikely anyone from Dell is going to be searching it for valuable data to steal.

Vasudev, Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    PCH temp seems ok.

If I was you I would erase aka clean up the SSDs and start up all over again and test both in another computer(don’t forget backup and check you can access it). You have the test tools (benchmarks software). First step.

The SSDs “drive remaining life” still showing 100%. This means it isn’t killed yet. But no hardware will have a good life if they are floating around +100C. You can clearly see that on the “all too low ssd speed”.

Read also the good advices from the post below by bro Fox.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.