*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. FuturisticModz

FuturisticModz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I managed to open all the screws that were on the heat sync but two. I was using correct bit & had quite a bit of pressure. The screws seemed soft & very easy to round. They didn't turn just just screwdriver slipping. What size would you recommend to repairing the laptop. I bought an ifixit tool kit as I believe they have the best quality tools on the market.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

2. FuturisticModz

Reputations:
    I need to send it back to dell's repair center to be fixed, it's happened twice. I just don't see why they use better screws or use a different method to tighten down the heat sync. I can remove all other screws just fine I removed all screws but two on heat sync that didn't want to move. I also had temp issues & I wanted to repaste as well said 100c was normal for the i9 at 3.4ghz. I know I could get better results but I couldn't even get the thing open.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If this is the second time that it happens i would seriously question the quality of your screwdriver set.

4. FuturisticModz

Reputations:
    Honestly I think someone should post the exact screw size for every set of screws in the laptop. Would be very helpful, I also bought the ifixit screw set as I believe that would be the best one.

5. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MogRules likes this.
  6. FuturisticModz

Reputations:
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Check the service manual for your machine, on one of the first pages of the service manual all screws used in the machine are mentioned.

Please also put some effort in researching, there is already so much information available.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am happy to report that I have successfully upgraded my Alienware 17 R4 with a Chimei N173HHE-G32 REV. C2 120hz TN 1920x1080 panel. It is the same panel used in the MSI GT73VR and a couple of Asus ROG models. I believe it is the 5ms version of the panel. My Alienware 17 R4 has optimus support, and the panel works fine in both optimus mode and dedicated GPU mode. Brightness controls work in both modes as well.

My machine originally shipped with a FHD 60hz panel, so I had to purchase and install the 40-pin cable normally used with the QHD panel. The part number is WTNR3. The 40-pin cable is not compatible with the IR "Tobiiware" Camera my configuration came with, so I left it disconnected. I may eventually get the full Tobii setup if I find a good deal on the spare parts, but for now I can live without the webcam.

The installation took about 2 hours to complete, the hardest part being getting the new cable taped down in the correct position so it would not be pinched by the hinge, display bezel, or system board. Note that if you have both a new cable and display panel, it is very easy to test both by just removing the back shroud and plugging the cable into the system board. The display bezel is adhered to the panel edge, so if you are reusing the bezel you may want to use some double-sided sticky tape so you do not get any gaps between the panel and the bezel.

The N173HHE-G32 is a wide gamut panel, so it really needs to be calibrated. Phoenix has a good one in the MSI forums that will work if you don't have a hardware calibration device.

Total cost of the upgrade was $175. $150 was for the panel and $25 for the cable, both from eBay. I may have been able to get the panel a little cheaper but I have been burned before from eBay sellers with "compatible" models. It even seemed like there may have been fake display cables on there too, so I went with a used cable that was pulled from a QHD model.

All in all I am very happy with this display upgrade. The AUO panel it replaced had a very aggressive anti-glare coating which this does not, so text is much clearer and sharper as a result. The 120hz 5ms panel is a night and day difference. It even looks better to me than the AUO QHD TN - no banding problems and instead of having horrible color reproduction it is even better than the FHD IPS, probably as good as the UHD IPS.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    s1rrah, Falkentyne, rinneh and 8 others like this.
  9. PandahNZ

PandahNZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Over the past week or so my 17 R4 1080 CPU temps have shot up to high 90s from around the 70 mark whilst gaming - have already carried out repasting using liquid metal so I'm unsure what has caused this big jump up? The current BIOS is 1.3.0, could this be the problem? Otherwise I'm not too sure where to start and would be much appreciated if I could get some pointers in the right direction!!

Thanks!

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have a log for example from bios 1.2.4 or lower.

What are the voltages when your cpu is under load, and at what speed. What is your ambient room temp/idle temp.

Have the temp of the gpu also risen, or is it only the cpu. Have you benchmarked (cinebench/firestrike) to see if your points got lower.

Have you already tried to tune your bios/TS settings. Do you use TS or only bios.

The more info we have the easier we can help you ! My laptop is at a Dell Depot though but I still can help you. Maybe the other users have other suggestions.