*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Azther

Azther Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    iirc theres an option that only shows drivers for ur service tag, just untick that, since it should only show drivers relevant to ur model anyways, only questionable drivers would be the tobii related ones, which shouldnt be too difficult to figure out which u need

2. Netnode

Netnode Newbie

Reputations:
    Dell facebook helped me out.

Hello, we are very sorry to hear your trouble, at this time the database for all Alienware 17R4 is being worked upon and as such some information is not available via the https://dell.to/2u93WnV portal, however we do have the necessary drivers available for you at https://dell.to/2ubHdHX

3. alberty

alberty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, just a quick question. Aw R4 7820hk gtx1080 8gb ram 256gb+1tb hdd 1080p screen is around 1700 euro. Is it good price? Does it has heating issues? Do you still recommend this to buy today as it is previous revision? Thanks

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Each laptop is unique to heating problems. All depends on the assembly. My r4 has zero heating issues with 7820 and 1080, while many other claim they have. So it’s hit or miss. Unless your planning the i9 6core r5 I would say the r4 is fine. Especially for gaming. If you edit large video the i9 might save you a few seconds on rendering time.

s1rrah, rinneh and alberty like this.
  5. alberty

alberty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, i will go ahead and buy it as it is still cheaper than other versions.

pathfindercod likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey @Falkentyne and brother @Papusan quick question. Does IA AC/DC loadline only boost cpu vid or also cache vid ? reason i'm asking is, i've set my cpu vid on 1.006 V @4.2 all core (in throttlestop) but i cannot lower my cache vid beneath 1.1006 V. is it mandatory to run the cpu core and cache the same V or is a 0.1xx difference no problem. i've been busy converting my adaptive overclocks to static values (saves a few C i've noticed) so in the long run my temps will be better.

under cinebench load, my lowest value recorded is 1.134 V but i do not want to take the gamble and lower it beneath 1.15x V (on the core). but i think it's safe to do it, would be glad with your help. thanks brothers :)

Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Cpu and Cashe is tied together with Skylake, Kaby and Coffee chips. With higher overclock I would put them equal, whatever you can put in TS.

raz8020, Vasudev, Falkentyne and 2 others like this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    cool thanks. 4.5+ seems slowly to become a reality (just now)

9. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll be honest with you, you're better off doing it yourself. The Dell techs are worthless; bear in mind this is a guy who had a working 13r3 that died, got mangled by a tech got another 13 that came previously loved, then a 15 and more repairs, then 17 plus an additional 4 more repairs. The current 17r4 I have now has had an equally treacherous experience and I've learned the best thing you can do is do it yourself.

Vasudev, l4k3rkb, c69k and 1 other person like this.
  10. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dells let you change systems (13->15) with a system exchange?

Vasudev likes this.