*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you just bought it get dell to either repaste and fit a new heatzink or replace the motherboard or return it.

Why pay someone on here ? Your machine should be fit for purpose.

There are no guarantees a repaste will fix the issue as you may have a warped heatzink or faulty motherboard.

You paid good money get dell to fix it rather than shell out more monies. :)

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My r4 has just auto installed the blocked windows 1803 update from April .. No issues so far.

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They removed the block since couple of weeks ago.

Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.
  4. nerdstaz

nerdstaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I made a mistake and updated to the 1.2.4 bios on my 17r4 (kaby with the 1080/120hz gsync) - it caused all sorts of issues. I was fortunately able to use the built in Aptio utility to rolback. It sent me to 1.0.5. Which awkwardly, I don't see that in the older versions for the machine - but at least I am off of 1.2.4 and the issue I was having seems to be gone. My question for the owner's team is, what is the preferred bios today?

I appreciate the help!

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same problem. I tried to rollback via usb, but no luck.

It keeps getting a error when flashing my old bios. So I'm kinda curious if there is a way to get off the protected bios.

6. Azther

Azther Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so after using 1803 for awhile, i can safely say that the freeze issue i had in 1709 is not present in 1803, its been running continuously for 7 days straight without any hiccups, compared to the 1709 build where it would freeze 2 days into it running, or 5 days, it always was one or the other for some reason, anyways i digress. now i have a question regarding the HDD bay, is it possible for it to be modded to allow for a 15mm 5tb drive to be put in there? i love my storage space and it would be fantastic to be able to fit something of that caliber in there

Vasudev likes this.
  7. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even when you click the battery icon?

8. Azther

Azther Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it would freeze randomly whenever if thats what ur refering to, only way i was able to fix it was by closing the lid when lid was set to do nothing, then it would unfreeze, then maybe an hour later or 20mins later, it would happen again etc

9. nerdstaz

nerdstaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I am having the most frustrating issue. Seriously about to toss this thing out of a window (17r4 with the 1080 and 7820). I have tried every version of bios, I have tried removing ram, running AW diagnostics, running memtests and I still somewhat randomly get this issue of a crazy beep code. I can play for 12 hours at a time and not have an issue. Shut it down, start it up no problem. Then randomly I will have the same issue this guy is having:

I also made sure to reset bios to defaults before I flashed. I took it apart and checked all the connections (after repasted a handful, I know my way around) I did the clr pin clear. It happens just often enough that I want to scream.

To get it to boot, I can sometimes simply close the lid and unplug the power adapter - power on with battery. Sometimes I have to unhook the battery and it might be fine for a day or two..then it's back again. Any advice before I trash this thing would be greatly appreciated (out of warranty fyi).

10. Netnode

Netnode Newbie

Reputations:
    To update windows I had to reinstall win 10.

So I go to the dell web site to download drivers etc and there are none?

All that's available is the detection function, ok, press that and it just goes on and on with Please wait while SupportAssist checks for driver updates... It's never ending.

Phone dell, the call centre guy hardly speaks english, after telling me he is going to check, he hangs up!

Call back again, the same thing happens and they hang up?

Call back and get a decent guy, he listens to me and after trying to access the downloads agrees that the page is broken.

I get a ticket and told it will be fixed by this morning, it didn't happen Grrrrrrr!

Can anyone access drivers etc for the 17 R4 and if so, provide a link please?