*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Time to sell it.

2. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    welcome to alienware :)

3. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK after showing them these horrific temps:
    IMG_20180704_130553.jpg IMG_20180704_130548.jpg

We understand, in that case, after reviewing the results of the tests you ran and the values of the temperatures we can say your system is experiencing overheating, probably because the thermal paste was not applied correctly after the replacement of the motherboard.

We will go ahead and create the order to send a technician to re paste the system and replace the heatsink, so we can get rid of the overheating problem”

Rei Fukai, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Repaste and repad. at least you don't have a core imbalance problem. sad that dell still makes the same mistakes. hope it will be fixed soon for ya bro

5. l4k3rkb

Reputations:
    When Alienware sends out a "senior tech" LOL
    https://imgur.com/a/tvVkui1
    I immediately noticed horrible WiFi reception so I opened up the machine and I don't see the plastic WiFi cap but some electrical tape. He taped up the antenna he broke (which still wasn't connected) and straight up didn't connect the other one! I am now unable to connect to WiFi, and my work places me in situations where wireless access is necessary and wired is not available. Incurring a loss of productivity because of Alienware's techs breaking stuff, nice

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. gregmattersen

gregmattersen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thought I'd share my experience here, got my 17 R4 just over a week ago (refurbished, but still under full warranty), immediately ran into the video stuttering issues. Downgrade of video bios helped, but didn't fully resolve, so I contacted Dell and sent it in for replacement. Just under a week later it came back, video card worked great, but the connectors in the back all had problems (displayport didn't work, hdmi would drop if I barely touched it, ethernet would sometimes connect at 100, sometimes at 1000, and most often just refuse to connect). Just had an in-home service where mobo was replaced again, and as soon as he pulled away I changed the volume and the sound was garbled beyond belief. Sounds great in headphones, super messed up on the speakers (which worked great before the service). Called in, they're sending a new tech, refused to do a system replacement yet, claimed they HAD to replace the speakers first, but if that doesn't fix it they'll escalate my case. I'll update with resolution after the next service, is all super fun!

7. l4k3rkb

Reputations:
    Oh boy, you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. Check my posts here and https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/..._update_to_dell_broke_my_laptop_while_fixing/ to get an idea...

8. gregmattersen

gregmattersen Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeesh, that's pretty bad. I hope this doesn't take 6.5 more months...

9. l4k3rkb

Reputations:
    I guess those countless hours of dealing with support and incompetent techs wasn't for nothing…[​IMG]
    I guess this is goodbye to the 17 R4 forum, it's been a good (or horrible) time guys. I'll still hang around though. Thanks to everyone who helped me on here.

10. Franksredhott

Franksredhott Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like many of you. This laptop is running hot, and loud. I've tried lifting up the back of the laptop. Also undervolted a bit. I keep reading how re-paste, re-pad etc have helped bring the temps down. But that kind of stuff is beyond me. Does anyone here offer services to re-paste, and re-pad? Anyone that can be recommended? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018