*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried modded vbioses for these laptops? Would be nice to get a little over the 120 watt limit for this 1070.

Edit: nevermind looks like I may be sol on this one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Have posted a few post about it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/search/20283804/?q=DPTF&o=relevance&c[user][0]=612304
    Same Treash, Dell tryed to put on us who had 4930/4940Mmx Xtreme processors in last AW with socket hardware. And Dell cointinue push hard for this piece of junk... How Dell cripple performance with bloatware/firmware explained by... :D

Ashtrix, Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks brother. I new you had to have some knowledge about the issue. I'm gonna read your posts thoroughly.

Thanks bro !

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  4. Azther

Azther Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so ive seemed to have tweaked my gpu undervolt even further, gpu boost kept shifting the curve up to 1809mhz instead of 1797mhz at 850mv, so i pushed it to 1809 at 850mv, seems perfectly stable, gotta do further testing to be absolutely sure tho

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Firestrike or Timespy benching along with witcher3 or GTA 5 for 1 hr should do the trick.

6. JasperLee93

JasperLee93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't consider undervolting since I am a "Go big or go home" guy who wants the best performance at all times haha.

Either way, will be soon for me to leave the AW17 R4 family. My laptop had many issues and on Dell's side, they messed up too. So recently they wrote me an email that due to the inconveniences they caused, as a gesture of goodwill, they are gonna take back my faulty 1 year old 17 R4 and replace it with a brand new 17 R5 with 8750H, 1070, 16GB Ram, 1440P TN+WVA 120Hz for free.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    c69k likes this.
  7. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Update to my horror story: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...4-owners-lounge.797457/page-818#post-10729381

It took some arduous talking with Dell and one very empathetic employee, and they finally agreed to do an exchange considering how much damage had been done to the machine at their hands. My original system consisted of a 7700HQ, 1070, 16GB RAM and a 120Hz QHD panel. The exchange unit they gave me consists of a 7820HK, 1080, 32GB RAM, and a 4K screen. Although I will still more than likely not purchase any further products from Dell, I do believe the situation has been rectified, it's just bad that I had to go to social media to get anything done in the first place. Thank you to everyone who upvoted, commented, tweeted, and RTed. I hope Dell will learn their lesson with sending out armadas of clueless techs, though that's very doubtful.

openglcg, leeloyd, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  8. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undercoating would actually allow for better performance as the complements will run cooler in return limit throttling and ensuring boost clocks to stay higher.

9. JasperLee93

JasperLee93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ah I see. But so far, before my 17 R4 died, it was maintaining a no throttle boost clock, so I decided to not touch any settings, I only increased the time window of turbo boost in the Intel XTU.

CPU stayed at 3.4Ghz on all cores during a Furmark and CPU stress, which is already considered full throttle performance for me :D

10. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Just when you've thought you won.
    So I got my new system, excited with the 1080 and such. I download Far Cry 5 to test it out, and it does look gorgeous at 4K ultra. However, there's freezing for seconds on end, and surely this can't be normal. So after about 3 hours of searching forums and trying tweaks, it still stopped for 1-3 seconds every 20 seconds or so. But when it ran correctly, it was 40 FPS. So I decided to check temps…Oh my. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My heart sinks. This ordeal with issues with my laptop has been going on since December, and after fighting with Dell for 7 months (!!!), my replacement is reaching 100° C without any OC of any kind. This is also with the laptop on a desk obviously with the back propped up.

I'm at a loss now, honestly. I've just been trying to get a working "premium gaming laptop" for 7 months and, it looks like I still don't have it. Don't know what to do at this point. This experience has really drained and weathered me, it's taken up so much of my time that it shouldn't have. Not sure what to even do now.

Vasudev and raz8020 like this.
  11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Return it and get a Clevo or a GT75, or, repaste it following @iunlock guide.

Vasudev and raz8020 like this.