*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah just do a clean windows install and for sure dont install the intel thermal framework drivers. With the 4th gen i7 alienwares its gonna be insanely hard to stop throttling in heavy cpu + gpu intensive games. You can help it though with repasting and undervolting.

2. Azther

Azther Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so thought id post an update on my cpu+gpu undervolt, the typical game i play is gw2, which is pretty cpu intensive, but having reshade ontop of it, it also pushed the gpu a little also, before with just my cpu undervolt, i was getting peaks of 64c on cpu and 61c on gpu, but since doing the gpu undervolt, now the peaks are 59-60c on cpu and 56c on gpu, and fans are abit quieter now too

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    brother @Papusan and @Falkentyne i was browsing the interwebz, and i came accross a few posts, regarding removing the Intel DPTF drivers. people claimed that the Intel DPTF drivers, can hold back the perfomance. the conclusion was: when the VRMs heatup, it can reach a certain temperature point, where the Intel DPTF is triggered and starts to throttle the system. what are your experiences with the DPTF ? i do not think it is a problem on the socketed beasts, in comparison to BGA for example.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    None of us have DPTF installed. So I can't answer.

Vistar Shook, Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dell removed DPTF control mechanism just because Echo models like mine threw up errors in event viewer, so AW removed it. Now, DPTF driver is just a driver that does nothing at all. My cousin has a HP envy which has cTDP options thanks to DPTF driver that allows max CPU performance and keeps thermals in check(Throttling due to BDPROCHOT, which I disabled using TS) on 7700HQ.

Vistar Shook and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    alright cool. thanks brother, i deleted it just in case to be sure.

7. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My ALIENWARE 17 R4 (GTX1070) is going strong; nary a problem since my purchase in Oct 2016, absolutely ZERO issues; ... but my Alienware Vindicator Briefcase that I house it in has seen better days, LOL ... just last week, one of the two zippers broke (the one on the front, with all the pockets) ... and so I'm sure the second one will jump the rails (literally) very soon. I might just buy another vindicator as I think it fits the laptop very well but can anybody suggest an alternative? Something with a bit tougher exterior? Maybe more heavy duty zippers? Money is not an issue so more expensive is okay ... just want something that might last longer than 1.3 years ...

Thanks!!!

8. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As many others have already mentioned this one before here - I got myself Everki Titan more than a year ago and it's a really nice backpack with a lot of departments. I think it will last for a very long time.

Papusan and s1rrah like this.
  9. s1rrah

Reputations:
    Thanks mate! I will be checking it out soon ... I just want something with strong zippers. The Vindicator zipper just "jumped the rails" and I can find no way to put it back on ...

10. s1rrah

Reputations:
    That looks so good; although I have used briefcase style cases before ... that said ... I could easily acclimate to the backpack style. I'm just looking for TOUgh AND stRONG and zippers that won't break after 1.5 years ...