*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    48x (First score 1078)
    [​IMG]

All good. Not the ram speed who hinder higher scores. And you use only TS and not XTU as well? Because I saw you had XTU3Service checked in Autoruns. No need for that if you run TS.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    An old basic "cooling" pad like that really old NC-820 pad, even with the fans off, will improve temps several C, just by elevating the back off the surface. The fans are so weak that it's not even worth using them. Just use it as an elevator and extra balance on your lap.

For best performance, you want a Notepal U3 or U3+ (U3 is slightly easier to work with), with custom fans (3x120mm or 1x140mm), depending on where the vent holes are, and a multiport fan speed controller (if only using one fan, all you need is the molex to 3/4 pin adapter, if you dont want fan speed control, and the coolermaster AC power supply for the fan or fan controller (Forgot what its called). Forget about using the notepal on your lap though. That's why it's still nice to have an old NC-820 sitting around.

raz8020 and Niarus like this.
  3. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm using XTU to set PLs and IccMax. As TS doesn't work well with AW firmware, or I'm doing something wrong.. :)
    Though XTU service isn't running all the time, as I'm running a script which changes the values in the XTU and then stopping XTU's service.

Thank you, will check them out.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd refrain from modding AW BIOS since it wrecks the PC. Even I dumped the BIOS part using fpt and clearly you know the modded BIOS didn't flash correctly.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You just needed a version of AMIBCP which works properly. Check win-raid.com. I've seen people post newer versions of stuff over on there.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I see. This means Dell’s outsource in hired software engineers has throwing out new crippled firmware:rolleyes: I really mean those power settings worked before in ThrottleStop. Could be wrong, but I don’t think so.

Vasudev and Niarus like this.
  7. Phlibbit

Phlibbit Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just bumping this since it got lost a few pages back. I've tried a few things like running the ePSA diagnostics (which all come out fine). I also did a clean boot, running only essential services on startup, and...it's smooth as silk. I'm not sure what program/service could be causing the slowdown, though...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen already similar behaviour on one laptop (6700HQ, GTX 1070, Gsync QHD display). If I remember correctly, disabling of internal GPU in device manager helped. Also check this topic as well, it might be connected with a certain driver\software.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Phlibbit likes this.
  9. Altairwarz

Altairwarz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can i set different undervolts for cache and core?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its possible. For diagnostics and testing I always set everything to same offset value so if an issue arises I can pinpoint it faster and find a remedy.
    With different offset values you will be pulling out your hairs often if any issue should arise.

Altairwarz likes this.