*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, we all post the horror stories about Alienware and fell and technicians, I want to post a positive review.

So a couple days ago I had mentioned that my 17r4 has all the glitchy boxes on the screen and found out the gpu was fried. well I had the shipping label from Dell to return it. I ended up not, due to the screen being perfect for me. No light bleed no banding just nice. I know that’s more rare than getting a motherboard that’s perfect. Well I called dell canceled the return and had dell troubleshoot the problem just to tell me what I already knew. That was the worst of the experience and I know they have to go through the steps. They shipped out a refurb board to the area, I could not convince them to let me do it.

So tonight I had a tech come out to replace the motherboard, I had horrible experiences in the past before. This guy was really awesome an older gentleman, he knew what he was doing, the only struggle was to take the back part off. I ended up helping on that it was stuck on tight. I asked if I could use kryonaught to repaste and he had no problem with it. He got it all taken apart and put back together in about 45 minutes. So far the laptop went from 75c plying wow at max settings down to 62ish, the max difference in cores is around 2c. So far so good I have been running the game for about 20 minutes no hiccups at all.

Top it all off, del sent a windows key for the new motherboard but the old one is still registered. He let me keep it and told me to use it on another system.

2. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any way of stopping them turning on every tine you turn on the PC?
    I prefer no lights but they still light up while command center loads... bit annoying

3. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good for you and congratulations! :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Open the back cover and unplug them and just tape them against the internal structure. They are easily accessable so no further dismantling is required

5. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So my experience with Dell's On-Site service (contracted by Worldwide TechServices)...
    So my issues were cosmetic damage that was there when I opened the machine, a blue dot on the display, overheating, and battery drain even when plugged in. First guy replaced the battery and screen, but the distance between the bezel and the screen was... less than acceptable. He also messed up the left bottom tron, causing it to be blue when turned off and pink when blue in AlienFX. He didn't even have the necessary items to fix the other issues, what a joke. So, after much arguing and shouting over email with Dell they finally got another guy who retaped the display, repasted CPU/GPU, and fixed the LEDs. I originally e-mailed Dell on NOVEMBER 14th, bringing Dell's time to get this fixed to 59 Days! I envy the guy above who got everything fixed easily.

Vistar Shook and quickie like this.
  6. quickie

Reputations:
    Sorry you had a bad experience, the one before that the dude had the whiskey shakes, he broke my WiFi connections on the card, he broke the connector for the track pad, he cracked the plastic frame on the laptop, he ripped a Tron light and after replacing the keyboard, I watched him put only 5 of the 7 heat sink screws in, coud not figure out how to get everything back in and had a few screws left over after putting g it back in. Once he had it all smashed together he tried to boot the laptop... didn’t boot at all. Called Dell told them the motherboard was broke and he needed a new one and left my house with my laptop in pieces. I called dell and after 30 minutes of *****ing a had a new laptop on the way...lol

Pete Light likes this.
  7. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Lol half of them at least are monkeys, fortunately the guy in our area is very good so I've actually let him work on my XPS a couple of times rather than just give me the parts. No one works on my Alienware though but me :)

nedooo likes this.
  8. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Now we got full non horror story with Dell, it turns out just another one HORROR STORY with happy end :)

Pete Light likes this.
  9. quickie

Reputations:
    Lol there is always horror stories, we just have to cherish be few fairy tales we get.

Vasudev and nedooo like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Hey all, hope everyone is having a great new year...I've been here, always reading, but I've been traveling for the holiday's. Busy time of the year for sure.

I've been tuning my system (17R4) to try and get it to stick at 4.8GHz, so that's what I've been up to along with working the magic on other systems... fun stuff.

Vasudev, Pete Light and Vistar Shook like this.