*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jonnathan

jonnathan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Pete Light can you point me to someone that can do a repad and repaste and a PCH mod on my Alienware 17R4 7820K Gtx 1080, i tried to contact @iunlock. But it seems he fell of the face of the earth. Im located in Nashville TN USA.

2. Shozuki

Shozuki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    London, UK mate...

Well... I tried a test squirt before applying it to the chips... and well... must have been some trapped air and it came spewing out so a vast majority had gone. I thought I had used enough on the chips though, perhaps not (I had a 1g Conductonaut) I spent a while doing it though...

6820HK + GTX 1080 all at stock. I'd like to OC but not at the moment given the temps at stock.. Btw I have noted there is no flicker when the Laptop is used on a monitor out...

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The price list is in several steps. But Yeah, about there:)
    Not the first time Dell's underpaid/low paid outsourced home tech team use screwdrivers for something as easy as a repaste. Some even prefer 10 inches variants of already mentioned tool.

But yes, best fix it yourself:) Services as some do is not cheap. And Dell's on site tech support team ain't much better option(Free but not nice when they make it worse than before you asked for support). Missing screws, scratches here and there, machines who don't boot as they did before they touched the computer etc.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Vistar Shook, Vasudev and Pete Light like this.
  4. etonomico

etonomico Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, It was a rollercoaster haha explaining my time lost and "frustration" , the fact that I reported both systems in the 30day window after reception and multiple dell failed services gave me the leverage to return my system.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm waiting next series...I figured if it's almost impossible to get issue free Laptop why bother...

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Razrblade

Razrblade Newbie

Reputations:
    i just bought me a new R4 with the 7700hq and gtx1070. i got the 1440p 120hz screen and so far i really like it better then my R3 with the 4k screen i bought last year. I did a repaste on it straight from the box and the factory paste was just like in the pictures i seen here. I dont really care for the tron lights going down the side of the screen though. I like them better on my R3, to bad i can switch lids out, or move the lights. Other then that its a great performing maching, much better then my older one with the 970.

Vistar Shook and s1rrah like this.
  7. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LOL ... I don't like the lights either ... but you know you can turn them all off, right? I turned all of the lights off on my AW17. I spend a lot of time using my machine in public and the "tron lights" just don't work for that.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No one cares about the OC (but there is a chance it'll have better support for Alienware device specific tolerances etc. as it's straight from AW), I'm really sad we won't be getting the new AlienFX UI, the current one is a horrible UI from 2008, you can't even do a decent rainbow (which I know is possible on this LED hardware because it can cycle through lighting at a good speed, it's just bad coding.) Other than that I hate opening Control Center because of how ugly it is. So yeah pretty jealous, hopefully it comes out on this regardless.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Razrblade

Razrblade Newbie

Reputations:
    yes i know you can turn off all the lights.

10. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, we all post the horror stories about Alienware and fell and technicians, I want to post a positive review.

So a couple days ago I had mentioned that my 17r4 has all the glitchy boxes on the screen and found out the gpu was fried. well I had the shipping label from Dell to return it. I ended up not, due to the screen being perfect for me. No light bleed no banding just nice. I know that’s more rare than getting a motherboard that’s perfect. Well I called dell canceled the return and had dell troubleshoot the problem just to tell me what I already knew. That was the worst of the experience and I know they have to go through the steps. They shipped out a refurb board to the area, I could not convince them to let me do it.

So tonight I had a tech come out to replace the motherboard, I had horrible experiences in the past before. This guy was really awesome an older gentleman, he knew what he was doing, the only struggle was to take the back part off. I ended up helping on that it was stuck on tight. I asked if I could use kryonaught to repaste and he had no problem with it. He got it all taken apart and put back together in about 45 minutes. So far the laptop went from 75c plying wow at max settings down to 62ish, the max difference in cores is around 2c. So far so good I have been running the game for about 20 minutes no hiccups at all.

Top it all off, del sent a windows key for the new motherboard but the old one is still registered. He let me keep it and told me to use it on another system.

dm477, MogRules, Wiz bit and 4 others like this.
  11. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any way of stopping them turning on every tine you turn on the PC?
    I prefer no lights but they still light up while command center loads... bit annoying