*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Shozuki

Shozuki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I repasted my 17 R4. It's pretty much made no difference to the temperature and now the screen flickers.... I've submitted a warranty transfer request which apparently takes 10 days. Wish I'd never bothered now - no matter the price - as this is probably an expensive brick...

Can anyone suggest why the repaste hasn't affected temps and what the flickering might be?

Thank you :(

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sometimes people are really scared to get inside and still want to obtain the system, but with such re-paste prices.. well, my half-price offer is still valid :D

Yeah, speed of Dell's service in the UK is indeed pretty nice, can't say anything about them. Only positive experience.

If you used LM: your temps can be still high because you applied insufficient amount of paste, mirror like surface of LM with the nice reflection of objects in it is a good sign if it's already enough. Concerning flickering - I hope you haven't shorted anything with LM around GPU or on the MB.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Likely warped heatsink. What version do you have I.e Sunon or cci. Possible motherboard issue with the cpu. What temps are you getting with what cpu and gpu do you have? I’d have another go - that way it will allow you to check the cables at the back. I wouldn’t have used liquid metal though (if that’s what you used).

4. Shozuki

Reputations:
    Uh-oh... I did use LM... is it dead...? I'll have to speak to Dell...

5. Wiz bit

Reputations:
    No, it’s clealry still working - possible loose cable at the back...
    did you not contact dell before you repasted regards the temps? They usually ask you to send a video or screen print or they remote in.

6. Shozuki

Reputations:
    I bought from privately - and am having a struggle changing the warranty.... though I've not tried too hard as I was confident I could do the repaste job but... Is there a monitor cable that connects to the motherboard? I'll have a closer look at that...

7. Wiz bit

Reputations:
    Yes, it’s 1 of the 4 cables you unplug at the back if I recall correctly (in between the fan vents) ..
    assuming it’s still under warranty from the service tag, if the owner hasn’t done the transfer yet, you can call dell, but they will need you to confirm his or hers details to honour the warranty.

8. Shozuki

Reputations:
    checked the cables at the back, I thought one of them was a bit loose. so I put it back in but the flicker is still there, albeit better...

9. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless...
    You repaste with LM at least or with kyronaut if you're extremely good at balancing the heatsink

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Depends where you are in the world? several forum users offer it

Why 450 or am I missing something? :)

Because you didn't do it right I suspect? Repasting if done properly will always be an improvement from factory even if you use cheap ****ty paste like they do.

Some people seem to think it's a 5-10 minute job. I spent a week on my last one for someone on the forum here, there's so much to do if you do it properly and you don't want to rush it, that's how accidents happen...

I had screen flickering as a symptom of poor VRM contact with the heatsink, I suspect it's just that... Are you running the OC BIOS? Which CPU and GPU do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.