*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, if it's legit, then, why not? $100.00 is a lot of scratch, but if it's well machined and can help with temp control? Might as well write a review if you go that route. The 1080 can get warm, and 198W doesn't seem overdone, once gpu proc and memory clock start climbing, and even an oc on your I7? Seems about right.

2. ScaniaV82299

ScaniaV82299 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'll just buy and see, anyways if it doesn't work I'll send it back. I'll get back with a review once received.

3. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Completely new to the forums.

I recently got 3 different gaming laptops, including the brand new Alienware 17 R4 with GTX 1080, 7820HK, QHD TN screen, 16GB ram, and 120GB SSD (Samsung PM851). I returned all 3 computers, but decided I wanted the Alienware, but I’m not 100% sure about the configuration.

Q1: I think I’m going to go with the GTX 1070 instead of the 1080 even though the price difference will only be 200 Euro in my situation (Normally the price difference is 400 Euro), mainly because the 1080 only performs ~16% better, but has higher thermal. Is it crazy to forgo the 1080 when its only 200 Euro more, and the primary reason for preferring the 1070 is thermal dispersion?

Q2: Has anyone seen the difference or compared the FHD 300nit IPS panel and the UHD 400nit IPS Gsync panel on the 17 R4?

Q3: I have already tested the QHD TN panel, and didn’t notice any problems that others have been mentioning. It scales 1080p sources flawlessly. Windows scaling worked great as well. Gaming Witcher3 and Total War: Warhammer 2 on 1080p settings scales beautifully, and watching high quality 1080p movies (25GB MKV files) scaled perfectly. Absolutely no sharpness issues or grainy visuals compared to a 17-inch 1080p IPS panel right next to it playing the exact same video/game – but as expected the colour was a bit more vibrant on the IPS panel (but only a bit). So how is the scaling from 1080p content on the UHD IPS panel? Should I expect a similar quality of scaling as I saw with the QHD screen, or maybe even better?

Q4: I will exclusively be using my 17 R4 for gaming. I have other devices suited better for all other tasks, so close to 0 browsing or video watching. 90% of my game time is spent on strategy games like Total War and Civilization. Every now and then I will play single player games like Witcher, Diablo, Assassins creed, WoW (Yes, single player wow, quest/story-mode – no raiding). On very rare occasions I might play dota, but never online FPS-games. Is it silly to get the QHD TN panel for my kind of use? Are there other aspects with the IPS I haven’t noticed that make one or the other panel type more compelling for my needs?

Q5: I plan on getting the graphics amplifier, and will probably get a high end desktop GPU in 3 or 4 years if this laptop is still running smooth. Will the UHD or the QHD be most impressive for single player games in the future?

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @zeverus

As far as I know Graphics Amplifier can't fully utilise today top GPU, imagine next gen...
    If you plan to upgrade GPU go with MXM...

zeverus likes this.
  5. Zfast4y0u

Zfast4y0u Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    amplifier is a no go, srsly better buy new laptop again then to go that route.. u will waste like 1000$ on whole amplifier setup and on end of the road the GPU in it wont even use its full potentional, more likely 50% or less..go watch videos and benchmarks about it, it aint worth it imho... atm is not good time for gaming laptops, not even 1 perform well in terms of thermals and performance, they usualy lack one of this 2 or both.. i still dont see laptop with 1080 in it with temps in high 60's and low 70's and CPU too. i wanted to get msi gt83 but gaved up, that thing is nuclear reactor, it has raw performance on 1080p (no gsync) with 1080 sli BUT its thermals are scarry, high 80's and even 90's on both CPU and GPU's and that thing has like best cooling of all of this ''gaming'' laptop line.

zeverus likes this.
  6. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is 58-62 on the GPU and 68-72 on the CPU with a 7820hk at stock....others have managed to get them even lower. It isn't that they can't do it, it's that poor quality paste and monkey's putting them together are making it difficult to get them to where they need to be. If you want to put in the effort you can get the temps more then within reason, but not everyone wants to do that and that is also understandable.

nedooo and Vasudev like this.
  7. Zfast4y0u

Reputations:
    i could imagine MAYBE those temps if u put LM and u have extra cooler under laptop, why on earth would i pay like +2k$ and have to take mashine apart to make it run properly? its a no brainer. what laptop are you using? and in what games/settings u have those temps? what resolution, vsync on or off? u cant just put up i run in 70-60 np. u might run but in some light loads.

8. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No liquid metal, I use Kryonaught as I didn't have good luck with the LM. People with LM jobs have better temps then I do. Games I run mostly are ARK, BF1, some Witcher 3, Overwatch. QHD, max settings, vsync off. I do have my laptop elevated by either a Cooler Master U3 or silicone feet when I am at work as I don't like carrying the cooling pad around. No your probably not going to get those temps stock, but that does not mean they are unobtainable. I understand that people don't want to take their laptops apart. Also the flip side is , even with a perfect paste job EVENTUALLY the stock paste is going to break down and need to be changed either way so I am just getting better stuff in there now and not needing to worry about it as soon down the road but I agree you shouldn't have to repaste out of the box.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Zfast4y0u

Reputations:
    ok in those games ur gpu runs really cool for laptop, i remmember on my old aw 18 with 880m sli, if i gaved laptop enough breathing space underneth, gpu's would max out on 72c on crysis 3,metro ll. cpu was always cool for some reason, never above 65c on loads ingames, it really never hit 70c. i7 4710mq. i really loved those temps on that laptop just 880m was a deal breaker xD

this temps were without repasting, i imagine if i put arctic silver or some really good paste i could have get even better temps, maybe.. cause aw 18 had really crappy fan tables, u couldnt controll em and stage 3 fire up when u reach 70c.

10. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks,

OK, So graphics amp is out of the question. Thanks for warning! Then it probably makes sense to get the GTX 1080. After a good repaste and putting in new thermal pads, is there a big thermal output difference between the 1070 and 1080?