*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Possible problem fix...
    1.) Lost in the silicon lottery (reduce undervoltage, clocks or make ready for replacement MB).
    2.) Change to better thermal paste + prep TRIPOD for lower temp (lower temp will - can allow for lower voltage.
    3.) Clean fans+grills for lower temp (see point 2).
    4.) Uninstall corrupt driver (if a newly installed driver is the culprit).
    5.) Re-install Windows, if this is the culprit.

But point 1. seems be the easiest fix.
    If his 7820hk can't handle even -50mv, I would say this chips is near the very bottom of the silicon lottery. Stock or slightly oc'd up to 43/44x doesn't matter.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, on inspection no need for point 3. The temps are fine for stock paste cpu cores diff are within 4c and 78c max temp after 15 mins gaming. Gpu 1080 max 72c again for stock I'm happy with these temps. I'm hoping it's a driver issue but dells website indicates 00000124 is cpu issue so yeah maybe replacement mb needed but I'd like to fix it given temps are good and I prob get them down abit with a repaste ...
    I'm not fully convinced it's the undervolting that's causing it at the mo.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. QuillP

QuillP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi fellas, I want to ask about something that happens when I run a stress with Prime95 or another stress test. In HWinfo sometimes, the core ratio drops (only for less than 1 millisecond and very rarely) from 43x to 41x or 39x,then goes back immediately up to 43x. The drop is infima because the average is still 43x. But I wonder if this is normal or I have something wrong in the configuration. Or perhaps the sensitivity of HWinfo is too high because with other monitoring software I do not see it reflected.

Pass all OCCT tests without any problem and the temperature never exceeds 79 degrees with room temperature at 30 degrees. After 2 hour running does not give any error. I would like to know if these drops are normal or I need to check some particular configuration.

Can someone help me with this? I appreciate any tip!!!

My laptop is Alienware 17r4 7820hk + repasted with Grizzly Conductunat and Fujipoly 11 W/mk

[​IMG]

I use OC settings from the BIOS (v1.2.0)

[​IMG]

And this is my HWinfo settings...

[​IMG]

4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Blue Screen Error code 0x00000124 - is more common due unstable overclock than faulty hardware. Too low core voltage (see undervolt or not put enough)is main culprit for Blue Screen!!
    In fact, Hwinfo64's default polling frequency is very slow to react. But it will still show correct info if your hardware work as intended. For more correct info or huting for problems, rather use ThrottleStop's own tools for monitoring showed in the pict. If you don't know how to use it... Search up info in the ThrottleStop guide.
    upload_2017-11-26_13-40-43.png

Edit. Try a second time, but this time with Fan Performance Mode Enabled in bios.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. QuillP

Reputations:
    In fact, the system works perfectly, never hangs or gives blue screen. Even with 44x. All I see are those falls. Even more, the intel xtu score is +1400 points. And the system is very fast. You say that the Core extra voltage is very low? Also probe with Core Extra with 150 and 200 but do the same.

I will follow your advice and use TS and enable Fan performance mode. Any other advice?

6. QuillP

Reputations:
    with the Fan Performance Mode Enabled is the same at the beginning, then it stays 43x

7. Jerohm

Jerohm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    (set/leave) the cache ratio at 39...

8. QuillP

Reputations:
    with TS?

9. Jerohm

Jerohm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: