*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Awesome! I love seeing reps online personally helping out our community!

Thank you!

2. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I appreciate the effort, but unfortunately the general opinion of Killer is it's unreliable and has terrible drivers riddled with errors. I think it's going to be really hard to change that perception, most people just swap it to an Intel 8 series card without a second thought.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    I won't argue that it's not easy. However, you might be surprised to know that we have quite a few fans, too.

For my part, all I can do is offer the best support I can, and badger the heck out of the QA team when something needs to be fixed. :D

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Thanks for your support. I've worked on a ton of systems ranging from brands A through Z and the issues with the killer cards are as follows:

* The solder points are very weak and break off easily. (I've never had once issue with Intel cards.)

* The software suite is very bloaty and quite frankly extremely cancerous. It does not do any justice to the computer.

If Killer could improve on quality control and release very simple isolated drivers to keep it bare bones as possible, it would be one step in the right direction.

(During an install I usually uncheck all of the useless bloat and proceed with just the main drivers to get it working, however, even doing this isn't as clean as Intel.)

At this point, it is a very tall order for Killer to come close to Intel's performance and simplicity.

The Killer suite is a huge culprit and really Kills the cards all together.

I have extracted so many broken pins and now with a bunch of dead killer cards laying around, most of which were brand new cards, now with a missing pin due to the weak solder points.

Please hound the team over there and let them know of these things to help improve the product.

Thank you.

::iunlock::

Pete Light, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  5. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So... what’s the verdict on the Windows 10 fall creator update?

Mine was auto downloaded but I’ve been snoozing the install every 3 days...

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes Killer Suite was junk esp. Killer Network Manager was crap, everyone will vouch for that. Now, Killer Sniper driver or Killer Control Center is very good and I have zero issues for past 4 months.
    Solder points are weak. That's the reason I use your method of using a plastic scribe tool to dislodge it. Thank you @iunlock
    maybe you need to try their beta driver that reduces DPC latency on speeds over 100Mbps.

7. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great attitude, I must say!

lmfao, true though

iunlock and Killer_Networking like this.
  8. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    The latest Killer Control Center currently uses under 200 MB of RAM and, in most systems, registers minimal CPU load. It's not bloaty at all, in its current form.

As far as weak solder points go, the antenna leads are intended to be removed with a tool. If you use a tool and pull straight up, they shouldn't break. We have a bit more information on that on our KB; search our faq for 'antenna leads'.

We have a driver-only installer and a .INF package available for download on our website - should our users prefer that route. It doesn't get any cleaner than installing a .INF from Device Manager yourself. ;)

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    you could include this video for people who prefer video based disassembly like me

pathfindercod likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    HeHe. Post in the forum and hours before put up new drivers on your website. Random?:D +rep

Pete Light, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.