*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. NA087

NA087 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This post needs to be removed the parties in questions were pmed thank you for everyone’s help.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I agree, for one to be giving false information to someone seeking help....? A little odd there. How credible is that right?

I wish I could comment on some things, but I better not. :) All I can say is, careful where one gets their repastes done. Most people are better off doing it themselves than to have certain stores do it for them...

I've had a lot come my way for those repastes to be fixed. A few units had LM leaked onto the mobo. It wasn't pretty.

The sad truth is, the Dell techs they send out are third party regular people who so happened to fill out an application. Really, it's a nightmare and that is the truth. As mentioned many moons ago, I have a library full of documentation with the horror stories of these people that don't know what they are doing.

I have pics of these so called Dell techs that had my repaste guide from nbr pulled up to service my clients laptops! LOL... *face palm*

I always encourage everyone to do their own repastes. Why do you think I've even published a DIY guide?

You make it sound like people are pushing for a sales commission or something. That's so far from the truth. You have it all wrong.

There are many people here who have spent a lot of time with helping people on their own dime.

What you need to understand that if someone want's a particular service, it is their choice. Period. Offering an option is not blatantly promoting like you make it out to be.

Wanting aftermarket work done is no different than modding your car.

- And because it seems like you haven't taken the time to read through the forums, having some third party tech come to your home isn't the best option.

Risk paying to send to a third party? - And you think the tech's Dell sends out are not third party?

Quite pumping fear into people. You're contradicting your own words...

Take the time to read through the thread and do your research.

That is interesting eh? - BTW hope all is well...

As mentioned, I would not recommend putting any paste between the VRM's. Due to the thermal conductivity "properties," doing so will dramatically decrease the heat transfer by a factor of, "many."

I've done extensive testing with this using thermalcoupels to measure the surface temp of the opposite side of the thermal pads.

This is where the heat sink balancing comes into play with using high grade pressure paper. It may take a while, but it's well worth the task... just take your time until you get good contact on all the pressure points.

If you'd like to address it without balancing the HS, using thicker pads (one piece) is better than stacking...

Hope that helps and good luck!

insoz, Pete Light and Vasudev like this.
  3. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will I gain any real benefits if I move from a small stock gtx1070 heatsink to a big 138w 1080 one? My temp is okay for now

4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I've done several of the GTX 1080 HS mod onto a 1070 unit and yes it does help. My avg. temp drops under load were 3-4C, but at times I have seen more.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What I actually meant was, you don't to disassemble everything from mobo to display in 15 r3/17 r4 unlike 15 r2 or 17 r3.
    So, LM fried their mobo? I am always afraid of LM, it always scared the hell out of me even if I haven't tried it personally.

6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Only 3-4C degrees lower?

Vasudev likes this.
  7. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Long story short, the LM repaste job was not done correctly and they had treated it like doing a regular repaste (traditional paste) without making sure the tolerances issues were addressed so there was a gap. This cause the LM to leak out onto the mother board.

What do you mean "Only?" Yes 3-4C on avg under full load. What's surprising about that? That's actually very good for what it is. These are averages, not max.

For someone that's getting temps into the mid 80C's for them to have temps in the upper 70C's to low 80C's is an improvement.

8. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I though HS intended for 1080@150w would do a much better job than the more flimsy one intended for 1070@115w. 3-4C decrease in temp, Oh'well was only a question.

9. Spybreak

Spybreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it require any actual modding or is it a drop-in replacement? Where can we buy the heatsink assembly?

10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I was hoping for bigger gains, but at the time the expectations was more fueled by the excitement, however, I'm just being careful to quote averages, rather than any higher figures to prevent any misunderstandings or unrealistic expectations.

It is a worthwhile mod though...

They can be found online on some 'websites,' however many of the sources from overseas are selling fake amd HS's so just proceed with caution. The supplier some of us ordered from no longer has them listed.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Papusan likes this.