*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Spybreak

Spybreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While I'm mostly super happy with my R4, I have the 1440p 120hz TN panel and I'm slightly worried about how it handles dark gradients.

I'm guessing its because of the limited sRGB coverage and the fact that its a TN panel, but there's noticeable blocking/banding in dark gradients. I can mostly see it in youtube videos, due to the compression artifacts.

I've compared with my work IPS screen and a Macbook which don't exhibit these issues. I've tried calibrating the screen but the only way of mitigating the issue is by darkening the gamma so much that the black values get crushed.

Is anyone else seeing this? For example, look at the Pacific Rim 2 trailer, at 00:24 under John Boyega's chin ()

I'm attaching a photo which shows the issue. Its more visible than when actually looking at the screen but you can see how the screen isnt able to show a smooth gradient in the dark areas.

[​IMG]

I'm actually considering buying the 4K screen and replacing it myself, although I'd really miss the 120hz for gaming.

2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That’s the nature of a TN panel vs IPS. Always has been. VA panels are a happy medium between TN and IPS but no vA laptop panels are available at the moment. The TN panel in the new r4 is one of the better TN panels I’ve seen in a laptop. The original tn panels in my clevo systems gave me a headache.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since you're in Canada, your options are a little more limited as far as aftermarket repasting goes.

If you're within your 30 days your best bet would be to return and repurchase or request Dell exchange the system, that's what worked for me.

If you're outside the 30 day return period then your options are to contact Dell and have one of their techs come to you and attempt a fix, pay a professional to do it, or do it yourself.

There's guides here on the forum and YouTube if you want to attempt it yourself. Dell can do it too but I've seen more bad stories than good when it comes to their on site service and repaste jobs.

Good luck!

hmscott, Vasudev and Pete Light like this.
  4. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, I am having the same issue, waiting Dell to deliver a new heatsink kit and during the repasting I will use a Hydronaut instead o Kryonaut.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk Pro

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Kryonaut would perform a bit better than Hydronaut, both are non-conductive, the one to avoid is Conductonaut - I like how they put the fact that it's electrically conductive in their name :)

Maineiac12, gunbolt and Vasudev like this.
  6. insoz

insoz Newbie

Reputations:
    @iunlock @alexnvidia @Rei Fukai or anyone else,

Would you recommend adding thermal paste between the VRMs / GDDR5X and thermal pads? I am during a repad right now and even after making thickness adjustments and bending the arms slightly there are still enormous gaps of about 2-3mm. I have read that the pads + paste combo is less efficient but isn't it better than having a gigantic gap and no contact at all? I was considering putting paste between the components and thermal pads and letting it cure so it would not flow out on the motherboard. I have the Kryonaut paste and Fujipoly 11 W/mK pads.

FYI I did not overstack the pads in other spots to avoid distancing the heatsink from other components - I added 0.5mm to the original setup. The motherboard and the heatsink are screwed down tight and nice and this happens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow that is some distance I'd be more concerned over why there's such a big gap. In the first image it REALLY looks like your pads next to the gap are way too big despite what you said. They shouldn't squeegee out the side like that, this is the reason you have a large gap next to it I suspect so I'd fix that first.

After this it's still fine to use a pad replacement paste like k5 pro but I wouldn't use kyronaut, it's not designed to be used like this and may run out or provide less than optimum results

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Usually this is because of a gamma issue, or a 6bit panel. Obviously with any encoded movie you will expect that part of the banding is caused by the compressed video. Test it on a different monitor to check. 6bit color is common for high refresh TN panels. Gamma issues might be solved by adjusting the gamma in nvidia control panel however nvidia control panel gamma adjustment is not as good as using a monitors built in adjustment.

Please check this video out on another monitor (preferably an 8bit panel with a gamma of 2.2) just to make sure its not the video itself.

9. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the gap above the CPU u need to fill up with a 1mm thermal pad. the stock pad will not make any contact at all.

as for the gap underneath the GPU, try bending the heatsink metal downwards a little to make the gap closer then fill it up with thermal pad. from the looks of it, at least 1.5mm

from the looks of it, you have a Sunon heatsink.

Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it is not recommended to put thermal paste on your vrm's. thermal compund should only be used on flat surfaces i.e. between cpu die and heatsink. i'm experiencing the same problems (but my laptop does not run hot anymore due new mobo) and the first thing you should do is a repad.

add some thicker pads to close the gaps. right now your finfet/vrm's/chokes etc are partly/not being cooled, so replacing your current pads with new thicker ones should give you a considerable amount of temperature drop. i've ordered myself some arctic thermal pads and i advise you to do the same. the cooling system in the alienware is incredible (but only when it makes proper contact) my current heatsink is almost like how yours is, and i've overclocked my cpu to 4.4 ghz (on 4 cores even benchmarked 4.5 on all 4 cores without throttling) on stock paste. temps will increase when it starts to dry up, but the cooling system has some potential. i can even bet with someone that if alienware would have a proper QA, a six core coffeelake should be able to fit within the current line-up/revision and be properly cooled. i would only do a repaste/repad and enjoy your beast of a laptop

insoz likes this.