*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What?!? Why not? :O :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, you're saying CPU hitting 90C+ and GPU temps less than 70C is okay to you??
    Acceptable temps for a GPU depends on the game which you're already aware of.
    Repasting will not void warranty at all, Dell specifically stated that couple of times. That's the reason they provide you with Service manuals. The intention is not to break the components which will void your warranty or which expires your quota of Accidental Damage Protection warranty in some regions.
    There's no advertisement related to Repaste services but info related dissembling Alienwares yourself. Team LHz services are limited to USA only so no promotion or scare tactics compelling you to send your laptops to them for repaste.
    Earlier Alienware didn't feature Tripods even then @iunlock made a guide to fix uneven heat issue and other mods as well. Even non LHz members contributed their own mods and repaste methods for optimal performance of AWs.

3. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Exactly, I just can't be arsed replying to help people like this anymore who clearly have no experience in fixing issues themselves And do not even know the obvious facts (repasting doesn't void the warranty and just because you're GPU temp is low doesn't mean your heatsink is contacting perfectly with the CPU...)

4. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Bang on, +rep for you

Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That issue was sorted out and TS will work on FCU and above.

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That’s good news. The last thing I read in unclewebs thread was something about programming change with the next version of Windows 10 and TS being incompnatible.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know where you're getting your information, but repasting does NOT void the warranty. Dell have said this many times and they even provide how-to videos on disassembly and repasting to help people. Ask yourself - why would they do that if it voided their warranty?

Temperatures are a different story. Just because they can run in the 90c range, people may want less fan noise or more headroom for overclocking.

I'm perfectly comfortable repasting myself but I can see why someone would want to pay a pro to do it. Not everyone is comfortable using conductive thermal compound on their laptops.

Vasudev and Pete Light like this.
  8. Romulo Mallanao

Romulo Mallanao Newbie

Reputations:
    My 1 week old 17 r4 i7 7820hk and gtx1080 is hitting 97 degrees on cpu cores.. should i returned it to dell.. im not happy with this temp so high.

gunbolt likes this.
  9. Pete Light

Reputations:
    Where are you based? Best guarantee is to get it repasted and the heatsink rebalanced

Vasudev likes this.
  10. s1rrah

s1rrah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there some sort of setting or softz that can enable USB fast charging on one of the USB ports on the Alienware 17 1070 machine? I charge my phone on either of the USB ports all the time and it works ... but it's abysmally slow ... I thought I recall something about an application or otherwise that would enable fast charge on one of the USB ports ...

Thanks in advance for any assitance,

Joel