*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes as others have said, BF1, Witcher, GTA V, The Division are some of the best games to test full load

Just use Throttlestop :) XTU is buggy as hell

unclewebb, IXVIXXII and Vasudev like this.
  2. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hard to say. Dell often has several part numbers for the same part, just made by different manufacturers. Once you get the heatsink post a picture and I can tell you if it's the same as mine. When I got them to send me one I didn't even know the part number, I just referenced the page number in the manual and said my laptop was missing this part.

Vasudev and gunbolt like this.
  3. Maineiac12

Reputations:
    Modding does NOT void your warranty.

Unless you break something, your warranty will remain intact. Repasting with traditional or LM paste, adding ram, hard drives, etc is all fine and won't void anything.

That being said, if you're not comfortable with it then don't do it because if you untintentionally break something you won't be covered. Sending it to @iunlock is the safe bet if you're not sure because you're 100% guaranteed to get it back working perfect with the warranty intact.

Pete Light and Vasudev like this.
  4. Maineiac12

Reputations:
    I like the interface of XTU because it's simple and easy to understand but it has issues remembering your settings and I found myself going back into the app every day to reapply the undervolt.

The Dell techs are hit or miss. Alienware systems are a niche product and the techs don't see them as often as they do the Inspiron and other high volume models. I've heard enough horror stories of on site techs making things worse that I would just do it myself or pay a professional for quality work.

Pete Light and Vasudev like this.
  5. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    sure, will do

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Windows 10 and throttlestop will not work together soon though from what I’m reading.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the death of an age

8. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm fully sure there are no issues his gpu temp is 67c for 1080 - Don't miss quote my previous post.

What do you consider an acceptable temp for gtx1080 in an laptop ??

Repaste or modding will invalidate the warranty if you get caught - end off - get Dell to do it!

What's shameful is the fear tactics used to promote repaste service - and for laptops that don't need it.

Use your free warrantys guys and don't pay others to repaste or mod... Also if you really don't won't to use your Free dell warranty then do a bit of research and be careful and repaste yourself it can be rewarding. :)

As for your comment they don't plug their own services - really, anyone could just open an account on here an plug peoples services and who would know who they are...

Can't wait for the next Alienware revision - removal of tripod = few people out of business on here

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    nick2nick and hmscott like this.
  9. etonomico

etonomico Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nope It Wont void your warranty as long as you dont wreak your system... repaste and for example phc modding are superficial changes that wont affect your hardware

Vasudev and Pete Light like this.
  10. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    First off this is 100% false. Frank Azor the heat of Alienware said himself that even repasting with very conductive Grizzly Conductonaut will not invalidate your warranty.

Second, what fear tactics? Everyone I know that does repastes are usually approached by people experiencing bad thermals and come to people that know how to fix it.
    The process is not for the faint of heart and they know that. I fail to see anyone using fear to promote repastes. I also fail to see how anyone is even promoting repastes.
    Regarding "for laptops that don't need it". Why do people ask for it then? Why are there several threads where people are bashing AW over thermals?
    The definition of "needing it" is subjective because technically Intel chips do not throttle till 100C or something.
    However it would seem people would rather be running 4.4GHz in the 70C(s) or 80C(s) then 90C(s) or 100C(s).