*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The sunon is actually the good one (there are 2 versions of it though and it's not clear which you have).

Given your temps thou, the heatsink is clearly doing its job well with stock paste. If you repasted you will likely see a further drop in temps.

You could try changing the pads but the stuttering is likely to be electrical and, depending where you live Alienware will send an engineer to your home and replace the mobo on site.

You could send alienware support your images and ask that they send an engineer to replace the pads.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I removed mine but kept them safe, you can do it carefully so you can put it back on it needs be. I returned two before this one and both stickers I had on the back and was no issue. Other retailers may be different though so may be worth checking first

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  3. Airizzo

Airizzo Newbie

Reputations:
    @iunlock
    Hey, can you add me on discord please? Sent a friend request and really need to get the repaste/pads done.

@iunlock forgot to add my discord name. Izzo#0469 id like to either hire you or mobius to do the repaste/repad. Please dm me on discord and I sent mobius 1 a msg on there already.

4. Tanner208

Tanner208 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone look at these stats and tell me if I should just send this back to Dell or should I send it to Iunlock to repad/repaste?

I played GTA5 for an hour on "default" settings (not maxed out) 120hz @ 1440p.

cpu temp.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG Capture.PNG 4.PNG

Wiz bit and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    iunlock likes this.
  6. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell makes an official heatsink but for some odd reason they only include it with the 1 TB SSD models. I contacted them for the part number and they ended up sending me one for free. They may do the same for you.

Here's the part number: JV98R

Vasudev and Riktar like this.
  7. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @iunlock, @Mobius 1, @Pete Light, @alexnvidia
    Guys, which BIOS are you using currently on AW 17 R4 (7820HK 4.3-4.5 OC + GTX1080)? Any improvements with fan profiles? Are RPM caps increased\decreased in new versions?

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I only use max fan mode so I don't really pay attention to fan curve change lol.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your gpu temp is 67c max and you have a gtx1080 - that is a great temp. No issues there.

Cpu a little high but only spikes. Avg temp ok. If that bothers you contact alienware and ask for a repaste but really your laptop is ok and your gpu temp is amazing. You could undevolt you cpu that would reduce your cpu temps by upto -10c

Don't send it to someone on here 1) you have a warranty and dell would take care of it for free -
    2) you could do it yourself, but why would you?

Your laptop is fine - For stock paste - specially your gpu :)

What heatsink do you have ? You can check by taking the back cover off.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1.1.8 and no they're still a bit crappy. Mine idles at 2.1 - 2.5k which is a bit annoying but I can berely hear it and I wear headphones anyway

Hey, your results are fairly typical if a little above average for a 7820HK, this one is definitely a keeper for sure. Your GPU temp and core differentials for the CPU are impressive for a stock unit however you're results are currently skewed because the power limits are being triggered, starving your CPU from running at 4 GHz all the time.
    For a true and next test, can you reboot into BIOS, restore to default settings, then go in again and enable CPU performance mode, go straight to customisation in the overclock setting and set all values to 0 except for the bottom two power limits which should be 240000, then run the same test again?
    This is for us to accurately determine how much of the power limit throttling is going on so the temps are an accurate reflection of that sustained clock speed (which they aren't at the moment). It seems not so much so far but let's make sure before passing any judgements :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Vasudev and Niarus like this.