*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:

thanks for the reply, using LM would not be my first time, but using it inside of a laptop would be ! i build pc's for people in my freetime and i only use conductonaut when building pc's and i've been doing it for almost three years now and never had a problem (yet) :). i've tried twitter and they've helped my by sending me a new heatsink and that's where my support ended. so it never helped me really fast forward one month and i'm still struggling with keeping my temps in check. i think i need a new mobo and i do not trust dell engineers with my laptop (i've always done everything myself) and i can't send it in to the depot (for something that should've been fixed from the factory IMO) but hey waht consumers say is never important, in the eyes of mig multinationals

2. Jeniczek

Jeniczek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Pete,

mind sharing where you've got the XG5 SSD and the SSD cooling mod as well ( I dont mean the EK one, thats already pretty awesomely documented there by you).

I have read a LOT of the stuff about R4 and the PCH/PAD/LM stuff and I will definately do that once I get the laptop. Can you please also tell me, what are the final PCH HS dimensions? One sources ( inc. yours) says, its 20x20x<=4, but then the others say, that you cant even fit two 2mil pads without having issues. Is there a heatsink, that just needs to be grinded and remains less then 4mil high and fits? Or do we really have to cut of some ribs completely?

Last question if you dont mind, can you share more details on the HS balancing?

Looks like I have won an auction for R4 with 7820HK and 1080, so the same setup as you and I would love to do most mods you have done to yours as well.

Thank you very much for any answers. Hopefully my alien will end up with the same results as your awesome one.

hmscott likes this.
  3. nick2nick

nick2nick Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a Youtube video where Umar is talking about the Alienware Software Experience and if you use their software for OC and something goes wrong you are covered under warranty - not sure if that is helpful as I don't know if you (Rei) used their OC SW.

Rei Fukai and hmscott like this.
  4. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey I got the XG5 in a replacement R4. I raised a return on my original because of GPU stutter and in my new unit came the new Toshiba XG5 SSD. I'm the only one who has it as far as I know. Full name is "S.M.A.R.T.: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB". It's gotta be said it's a massive improvement over the XG4, much closer to the Samsungs in terms of temperatures and performance is still 2TB/s, 1TB/s which is good.

The custom SSD cooling mod I made consisted of multiple heatsinks cut to a custom fit and glued on. It just so happens I took some exact photos you're after just in case anyone was interested :)...

Note the way I have done this mod is that it is completely un-doable if required.

I ordered the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I followed the following steps:
    1. Peel off the sticker on the black chips and stick this on the back
    2. Clean the black chips with Arcticlean No.1 and a microfibre cloth
    3. Cut the heatsinks into the following lengths as follows using a junior hacksaw:
      [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Grind down the fins to 3.0 - 3.5mm (I used a stone grinder I have)
    5. File down (just a regular nail file) the fins so there are no sharp, jagged edges or loose pieces of aluminium
    6. Wash heatsinks under the tap and dry them
    7. Lap the heatsinks a little (dry) and blow away any excess dust
    8. Spread a generous helping of Kyronaut evenly across all the black chips
    9. Glue the first heatsink on like this below (also detailed in yellow in the first pic above).
      [​IMG] [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Press a lot of pressure on the heatsink when the glue is setting and wait until dry

10. Then I glued the next two heatsinks as shown in red in my first pic above
    11. Then I glued the far right (controller) heatsink. This was much harder because I needed a thin 1.1mm piece of double sided sticky adhesive inbetween so the glue didn't stick to the SSD board. This is also as shown in blue in my first pic above
    12. Now wait until the glue is dry then pop it in your system
    Of course more critical people may say "WTF are you doing with the heatsink walls being horizontal across the board", thing is that it was a lot less modifications / cuts to do it this way and since there is:
    • Absolutely no airflow on this part of the laptop
    • Almost no height to the heatsink walls anyway
    There was just no point in worrying about that, it just wouldn't make a difference.

Results
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nice 15C temp drop on the exact same test! (even though temps weren't that bad before anyway) Happy days :D

My PCH mod was 20x20x4mm I had to shave/grind it down and file it from 6mm high as shown below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was a perfect fit and there is definitely enough room for a 4mm high heatsink (unless you have the R3 which is 1-2mm less I believe)

Not right now, pm me as it may be easier to discuss this over VOIP

Congrats! they are fantastic systems when sorted and I hope you get a good one! Any questions just ask...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    raz8020, wuyungfu, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  5. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have any more details on your PCH mod? How did you adhere the heatsink to the chip?

I'm curious, what is a safe temp range for the PCH? And what happens when it starts to overheat. Mine is reaching 78c while gaming.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:

thanks ! that's very helpfull ! i strictly oc from within the bios and undervolt from throttlestop. this would make oc'ing easier !

Got a new mobo today and look at the results !! this is done on the stock dell paste and with my old heatsink. finally i can start oc'ing and see if i can oc it to 4.8 :$ temps are now stable and well within the the safe ranges :) will test more and report back with the results. Thank you for your help it really helped me ! @Papusan @Maineiac12 @hmscott

Attached Files:

7. Perry8912

Perry8912 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    15R3 vs 17R4, Anyone want to share about the battery life please? Under light usage....

8. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool! I'd up your power limit though and test for longer than 4 mins in OCCT, 15 mins I find it's a good reference. Those temps are great for stock paste though congrats!

For reference here is a 2hr OCCT run at 4.3 GHz with a -30mV on LM:
    [​IMG]

Hey it's glue to the electric tape in my image on each four corners and kyronaut is between the die and heatsink.

The PCH is apparently designed to run hot and temperatures well into the 90s is common. Personally I don't want any of my silicon getting that hot so I did the mod and now consider anything less than 90 acceptable and less than 80 desirable with any overclock. I'm not entirely happy with mine so i may cut out some of the structure and put a bigger heatsink in there in due course. When it gets real hot (high 90s i believe) it will start throttling and this can give you a stutter in game as I believe it gimps both the CPU and GPU (not entirely sure though)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vasudev, Rei Fukai and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please fix the typo, unless your SSD was transported from the future.!

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nice temps ! i did a quick benchmark just to see how it reacts to sudden pressure. it would throttle almost immediately after starting the benchmark sadly enough it crashed while it was benching for 13 minutes, but my usual time is 30 mins. if i can get it stable at 4.4 i would be very happy, especially when i'm "very" "close" to your temperatures already (for stock paste !). will upload more pictures soon !

edit:

about the powerlimits is 100 watts enough ? i've often seen the gpu pull 190+watts so don't wan't to take no juice away from my gpu

Vasudev likes this.