*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Ah yes, that's correct...Slot 2 has slightly better air flow and I have tested this with toshiba drives running RAID. Especially with max fans, slot 2 stays cooler by several degrees.

Let me pull up the data and I'll post it.

The Samsung drives run very cool with the max on my 960 Pro with max fans on being 58C during a 5gig rendering session.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like the tracking has disappeared from my order page, though I can still track on DHL. Still says out for delivery this morning.

3. bestseany

bestseany Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, it wasn't the ribbon cable or even the keyboard at fault. The onsite engineer changed the keyboard today but it's still not working. Looks like it's going to need a new motherboard!

Not really acceptable on a brand new laptop. Not sure whether to get the board replaced or send it back and order a new one. Or give up finding a decent gaming laptop altogether (this is my fifth in as many months)

4. TOAA

TOAA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great info, all this is keeping my expectations up for this machine. Do you have a post with the thermals for the 7820HK? I think I've only seen the numbers on the 6820HK and I wasn't sure if it was going to be the same with this new version. Great video on YouTube of the repaste and the performance before and after.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. solat152

solat152 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I jumped ship. Returned the laptop to best buy. Bought a bunch of parts for a desktop.

6. bestseany

bestseany Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish I had the option but I've lost the room I had my PC in to a 6 month old baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. MM-46

MM-46 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the new 2017 Razer Blade Pro worth the $4,000 USD starting price? I was cross-shopping the Razer Pro with the AW17 R4, before deciding to pull the trigger on the AW. But if my AW arrives with issues, I may send it back and see if I have better luck with the Razer.

8. TOAA

TOAA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're paying $4k for a GTX 1080 in a slim form factor with good build quality... For me, if it were $1,000 cheaper, it would be worth it but not at $3,799. I'd have gone with the Aorus x7 v7 when that comes out if I didn't get the 17 R4, but it's taking them so long to get the v7 x7 out.

Dayday5811, Vasudev and MM-46 like this.
  9. solat152

solat152 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You could build one hell of a desktop for 4k

10. MM-46

MM-46 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sure can, I already have a nice gaming desktop... but it's absolutely useless for me when I travel.