*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ahh you're right! Awesome, it's in Chicago. May our computers be transferred to FedEx and into our hands quickly!

2. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Here they are... about to turn it on now and run some tests.

I've been gaming and running RTSS (btw v7.0.0 is out but still beta...working great so far without issues) to collect some data...

[​IMG]

Now I can OC the CPU to 10.0GHz right? That's what customer care told me...but I have to use my XPS 130W PSU too...:rolleyes:

j/k

*Repost from the [Confirmed RAM List + Feedback] - Alienware 17 R4 / 15 R3 thread.

3. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Repost from the RAM thread...

LOL...okay so for fun and what it's worth (to many it's worth nothing as it really won't make a difference...) but I ran some tests with what I had in my unit stock:

Samsung 2400MHz @ Cas 17 vs HyperX 2667MHz @ Cas 15 vs SK Hynix 2667MHz @ Cas 19

[​IMG]

The HyperX is obviously faster, but look at the Latency of the Samsung 2400MHz. Like a BOSS.

Also, that SK Hynix 2667MHz...so sad. :( ...Great quality / integrity chips (the best actually next to Samsung) but with horrible timings out of the box.

What makes it really bad is that you can't adjust the timings on the 17R4, but on the 17R3 you can? :rolleyes: Mmm yea...that needs to change.

So I wonder how those SK Hynix 2667's will do tuned.

As for the Samsung at 2400MHz and holding its own, what can you say...it's Samsung. The King of Chips.

So is it worth it to upgrade your RAM? For 99.9% of the users, NO.

However...

I'll stick with the HyperX 2667MHz with the Cas 15-17-17 as in this case with not being able to change the timings, having faster RAM speed paired with the Kaby will at the end of the day brings more benefits to whatever degree that is worth to the user.

In this case...I rather have the faster RAM, since the timings are the best we're going to get for the 17R4 / 15R3, until there is miraculously a bios update that will unlock it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. TOAA

TOAA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You seem like the one to ask, is there a list of things I should do before and when I receive my 17 R4 next week? I can't pm yet I guess because I'm new? I'm getting an i7 7820HK, GTX 1080 QHD 17 R4 with only 8GB of RAM. I was planning to do the repaste, add a samsung 960 M.2 ssd, and I'm not sure whether I should go with 16GB of 2400 CL14 or 16GB 2666 CL15 Kingston HyperX Impact RAM for around $135. Or maybe even go with a 32GB 2400MHz set of Kingston RAM? I ordered 2 days ago and I'm unsure if I should have upgrade the RAM with Dell or if I'm better off finding RAM on newegg or amazon to install myself. What kind of RAM does Dell use stock? Crucial, Samsung, or ..? I hope I'm asking on the right thread... thank you for the time and any help.

5. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Sure thing.

K so when you get your unit, just check for the basics and make sure everything is working like it should.

Next install hwinfo64 (configure it to show all the relevant info) and wPrime v1.55 (advanced settings -> change the core count to 8), then run a 1024M test.

Screen shot and post it here.

I'm actually right in the middle of testing RAM as we speak...

It's a toss up between the HyperX 2400 and 2667 due to the timings....

There's only one way to find out haha... I'll post up the results..

The stock RAM in the AW are either SK Hynix, Micron or Samsung. You'd be lucky to get the Samsung as they are very good. The chart that I had just posted are the stock Samsung RAM that came in my 17R4.

I would not upgrade to the 2667 from Dell. The brand is good (SK Hynix), but the timings are bad, which wouldn't be an issue if the 17R4 had the ability to adjust them, but unfortunately it can't. (whereas on the 17R3 you could. Crazy I know...)

So the bottom line when it comes to RAM is...to pick the best combo that is available..which is clearly HyperX.

Update:

I'll stick with the HyperX 2667MHz with the Cas 15-17-17 as in this case with not being able to change the timings, having faster RAM speed paired with the Kaby will at the end of the day brings more benefits to whatever degree that is worth to the user. In this case...I rather have the faster RAM, since the timings are the best we're going to get for the 17R4.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Bowlerguy92 and TOAA like this.
  6. TOAA

TOAA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response. I guess it's too much to leave it up to chance for Dell to choose Samsung RAM, and I guess there's no way to request it as they are building it. Yea, from what I've seen, it looks like the Kingston HyperX Impact RAM has been the most reliable for many, with a lot of good reviews. Now I don't feel so bad about leaving 8GB in there and buying RAM on my own. I guess I just have to hope that 32GB of 2400MHz HyperX go for $130 again instead of $260 or I'm probably better of with a 16GB set if I'm mostly gaming and editing from time to time. I'll be following to see your results with the 2400 vs 2667 battle. Would you say 2800 and 3000 aren't worth it for laptop mobos and their limited cooling? What kind of temps is your 17 R4 with the 7820HK running? What can I expect going stock with base clock and then the repaste? It looks like the GPU stays nice and cool from low to high 60's under load/gaming, but how about the CPU? The reviews I've seen on Youtube worry me and it's hot in Florida...

7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Isn't the Latency of the HyperX on par with Samsung sticks?:rolleyes: Like a BOSS?:D

8. TLS2000

TLS2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weird issue today. My laptop has been sitting, with the lid off, powered on for days because I have it doing some background stuff. It turned itself off unexplicitely, and changed some of the bios settings on me.

So when I powered it back on, the laptop was looking on the network for a boot image, rather than to the SSD.

Very odd. I'm the ONLY person who has access to the laptop and I don't install random stuff off the internet, so I don't have a clue what caused the issue.

Dayday5811 likes this.
  9. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    You mean...isn't the 2400MHz Samsung that came stock with the 17R4 on par with the latency as the $300 HyperX 2667MHz?

Yes. Samsung, like a BOSS man. It's a slang in N.A. to indicate the boss man or boss like status. :)

10. etonomico

etonomico Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey you have you tested your SSD2 slot instead of SSD3? I would like to know if someone has tried this because my SSD runs WAY cooler in slot2. I know your samsung runs cooler than my ocz/toshiba but I was just wondering if its just my unit