*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just to add my 5c,

I also don't think it will make much difference for a gaming machine. The general opinion back when I got my R3 was that any i7 was good enough and spend on GPU. This one I have now was a free upgrade from Dell but even with the stock bios I have access to overclocking. I just use the easy options for level 1-3. On level 3 I get ~3.8 Ghz average across the cores with 4.1 on single core. No difference in gaming I could see.

The only real difference I saw researching the 4980 was that it has Intel's latest GPU on-die (Iris?). That isn't going to give me anything but battery gaming on-the-go should be reasonable with settings reduced?

CPU is more important in AMD GPU machines as physics is off-loaded to the CPU. NV have their dedicated PhysX chip. When you run 3D Mark tests the CPU physics is forced to the CPU for NV cards. This is to level the playing field (so they say??). I wonder if 'CPU intensive' games are just poor ports that do not use the PhysX? I've not researched it as I'm more interested in my gaming but I wanted to start with the best Dell offered to give it a fair test.

Time to start the migration planning, lists and links is task one :(. And I fear Win8, hated it when I tried it last, now I have to perservere :rolleyes:

2. starrk

starrk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How's your build coming, Mickey? Any change in production status? I ordered on the 8th and it's still in preproduction with an ETA of 2/25.

3. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Hi, It's only day 2 but same as you with an ETA of 2/10. I got a feeling from the rep that he was looking for me to be in the first batch, he said it was the first 4890HQ/980 (UK) combo ordered - he is also linked here and knows why I want to test one :D.

Maybe further down the road we can compare if you have the base CPU option? Good info for new purchasers...

bigtonyman likes this.
  4. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I personally just install a star menu replacement (start is back) and it feels pretty similar to windows 7 to me. I still have win 7 ultimate on my r3 since it hated windows 8 and was doing all kinds of weird stuff.

5. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Yeah, I got my kid an all-in-one for Christmas (and she's been using windows since '98) and she did the same.

I saw that in the UK the win8 recovery USB is included, nice if I manage to mess it up!

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The ivy bridge M17x R4 and M18x R2 are the best systems money can buy right now. Forget the 17/18 and most certainly 17 R2.

On a different note, I wonder if the IPS 1080P screen from the 17 R2 can be retrofitted onto the 17 R1

nightingale likes this.
  7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Started to have a look if water cooling the G/A might be a possibility. Looks like there is a whole bunch of open space https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9osKr5mq67k#t=87

Might be able to squeeze in an all-in-unit Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System 140 Radiator / Pump / Reservoir Combo - Aluminum Fins - D5 Pump (33005) - FrozenCPU.com (I've used these guys before) and there are a bunch of water-blocks for the 980. I might have to start saving some serious cash around a year down the road - if it works out...

8. Galahad78

Galahad78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wondering if it might be worth to buy an Alienware 17 with 4910MQ and GTX880m instead of the new R2, and upgrade CPU and GPU in a year or two.

I'm trying to convince myself to buy an Alienware (a looong lasting dream :)) but with these BGA chips and prices, I'm considering the Clevo P771ZM.

9. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    there is an all in one cooler attached to a 980 in development by EVGA. Not sure on the time table for the release though. It was demoed at CES. :)

MickyD1234 likes this.
  10. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been MIA for a while. What's all this hate against the new AW revisions?