*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. COtto1984

COtto1984 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I reluctantly installed BIOS 1.8.0 a couple weeks ago. I can't recall exactly what BIOS I was on previously, but it was something more current than 1.3.12. Anyways, the problem I seemed to be having with 1.8.0 is when I restart the computer (Windows 10), I would be slow to get past the "Alienware" screen and then it would say "can't find boot device" or something along those lines. It was very consistent on reboots. I tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and that did not resolve the problem either. If I shut the computer down completely, it did not seem to have a problem booting up when I hit the power button.

Reading through this thread, I saw some references to boot issues with some of the current BIOS versions. Does my issue seem to be in-line with the problems folks were having? Assuming so, what are my options for possibly downgrading and will that even fix the issue?

2. MNColdMidwest

MNColdMidwest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was having a weird problem with booting "cleanly" into either Ubuntu or Win10 after doing a fresh install. I've seen this happen before with a screwed up uefi entry.

After I did a windows 10 update (190x) and updated to the latest 20.04.1 LTS on ubuntu, I can swap back and forth on reboot and cold boot no problem.
    NOTE: I am running a dual-drive arrangement for booting off of nvme with a sata/ssd for game/data

There are uefi clean up tools that are our there. do read through the notes on installation and precautions. Alienware bios is not like other Dell UEFI setups where you can manually select the file (at least not that I have seen)

Vasudev likes this.
  3. COtto1984

Reputations:
    It's weird that it only happens on "restarts".

Vasudev likes this.
  4. COtto1984

Reputations:
    Note I installed BIOS 1.11.0 that was released 10/30 and it fixed my boot issue(s). Ended up having to do a clean install of Windows 10 after the BIOS upgrade, but all is well now!

Vasudev and 0lok like this.
  5. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you kindly test if undervolting still works with the new bios? Thanks..

Papusan likes this.
  6. COtto1984

Reputations:
    Where do I go in the BIOS to find this?

7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    by doing this:
    Could you please download ThrottleStop then run it and click on the FIVR tab? Even nicer if you could click unlock voltage in there and add -15mv offset for Core voltage and click apply. Post screenshot.
    Once done to fully remove ThrottleStop you must delete it and shut down your laptop. Not just restart. Shut down is needed and once done all settings that you've change from ThrottleStop will revert to its default.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

c69k, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. Anglijsk

Anglijsk Newbie

Reputations:
    It's all about the drivers.I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on Alienware 17R2.Drivers were quickly installed from the Internet.After that, there was a problem with the fans after loading the OS.
    I had to reinstall Windows again.

1.I turned off the Internet completely(turned off the router).

2.Installed from a flash drive Windows 10, formatted the disk With.

3.On the desktop in order put the drivers downloaded from the site dell.com.

OTB-Survey-Dell-Customer-Connect_9WC61_WIN_1.5.1.0_A00 rebooted the laptop
    Chipset_Driver_KVW38_WN_10.0.30.1072_A00 rebooted the laptop
    Alienware-13_Chipset_Driver_NHJ0R_WN_10.0.20_A00 rebooted the laptop
    Network_Driver_M33C6_WN32_1.1.54.1217_A00 rebooted the laptop
    Video_Driver_R9FR7_WN32_20.19.15.4531_A04 rebooted the laptop
    457.30-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql rebooted the laptop
    Audio_Driver_483TY_WN32_1.1.0_A00 (this diver was playing from disk C) rebooted the laptop
    Dell-Touchpad-Driver_9NNK9_WIN_19.2.17.70_A11 rebooted the laptop
    Network_Driver_90M6T_WN_1.4.1_A00 rebooted the laptop
    System-Utilities_Driver_TGP2J_WN_1.1.2.8_A00 rebooted the laptop
    AWCC-enhance-for-NBs_00WMC_WIN64_4.0.54.0_A00 rebooted the laptop

You need to put the drivers in this order.

After that, I turned on the Internet and installed the remaining drivers using the Driver Booster Portable program.

2 weeks I have a laptop running and never have any problems with the fans after loading Windows.

9. ThomasAAT

ThomasAAT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't reccomend this.
    I had a similar issue and it was caused by the dell SupportAssist and the services Dell Data Vault Data Collection Service. Disable them under task manager and see if that solves the problem.

Vasudev likes this.