*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd suggest keeping dGPU in Nvidia optimized mode if you want fractional scaling which works on intel GPU and not on proprietary GPU drivers from nvidia ! I setup linux in efi mode and signed everything and then found out nvidia driver has issues and now its in in-secure boot to allow undervolting of CPU at startup.

2. MNColdMidwest

MNColdMidwest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will be resurrecting my AW 17 R3 (i7-6700 & 970m) here shortly..
    It suffered from a cracked bottom case and a FHD screen with a hairline crack across the bottom.
    Damage came from lugging it around in my Targus backpack a couple years ago and just got around to finding the funds to bring it out of storage. (Work gives me a new XPS 15 each year with a Dell dock, so even my AGA is mothballed)

I'm sure the battery is toast and the CMOS bat is drained.

List of activities to get done in the next 2 weeks:
    - Clean fans/swap case bottom/screen and repaste (Kryonaut) cpu/gpu
    - New keyboard (old one had some pretty worn out keys on it)
    - New 32GB of ram (never messed with the 8GB it came with)
    - New 512GB Adata XPG 8200 (512GB) and 1TB Adata Su800 (has been sitting on my shelf for a while now)
    - Upgrade to an intel 8265 wifi card (never liked the "killer" for wifi at home)
    - Install Win10 Pro (It has Home, but, can I do a "fresh" install or Pro?) [planning to stick with 1809 for now]
    - New CX450m PSU, 92mm fan, and a 2nd hand 1070 G1 w/8GB in the AGA

Everything said and done for under $500 (If only I had bought the 3yr instead of 2yr warranty protection)

Only question I have is, if I added a 2nd NVMe drive, and wanted to install Ubuntu 20.04 on it, do I want to use Grub and install Ubuntu on the drive in bay1 after I install Win10 on the drive in bay2? (leaving my 1TB SSD/SATA drive for games)

[I'm going to be playing with Tensorflow in ubuntu on the 970m and the 1070 g1]

ETA - 20200926: All of these fixes and updates to my AW17R3 have been completed. Only had to wait for the new display to show, which was a week late. Smooth as ever now and runs cooler.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Use Single disk to install Ubuntu and W10. Its easier to maintain and reinstall is quicker since you don't have to remove other SSDs in case it wrecks the bootloaders.

4. MNColdMidwest

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm kinda wondering about that. I did this on one other system, but, my AW 17 R3 has 3 drive bays (2xNVMe 1xSATA/SSD).
    1. setup Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on the "first" NVME drive
    2. remove Ubuntu NVME drive
    3. Install Win10 + drivers on "second" NVME drive
    4. re-install Ubuntu NVME drive
    5. Update grub in Ubuntu and change boot order in Bios to start from that drive

I'd like to keep my Win10 drive "solo".

Only other question is if the 2nd NVMe drive will be at the same speed as the first. I thought I read where if you have 2xNVME drives installed, they don't both run at the same speed.

Thoughts?

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Even I heard, 2xPCIe NVMe drive doesn't run at 4x and falls back to PCIe 3.0 2x. That's why i opted for SATA M.2.
    You can use Boot repair x64 ISO to repair Grub2-efi or just use rEFInd to boot into your ubuntu 20 and then run update-grub from terminal.

Aroc and MNColdMidwest like this.
  6. MNColdMidwest

Reputations:
    If both drives top out at 800Mb/sec, vs 533MB/sec on the SATA drive, I'll be happy for now.

Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  7. MNColdMidwest

Reputations:
    After a repaste and detailed cleaning of the fans, it running much cooler. I've not done any serious stress testing, but, most temps on idle are in the 40-50 range. Watching videos or during a drive scan it goes up around the 60s, popped up to 70C once or twice as frequency hit 3200(?) but never even approached anything more than that.

Its much snappier than I remember it, maybe because of the newer generation NVMe drive and 32GB of 2400 memory.

Just need to finish the Alienware "branding" and find a theme worth installing for Windows. Linux was boring to install and zero issue getting things going. Still need to setup the other Tensorflow libs and Python goodies.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Aroc likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Alienware Customization - Wallpapers, OEM Info, Start Menu

Vasudev, MNColdMidwest and Aroc like this.
  9. MNColdMidwest

Reputations:
    Thanks Spartan!!!

Super helpful. I've added those to my 17 R3 and I am in the process of getting the configs in Ubuntu to look similar.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Edited:
    Nevermind all sorted

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020