*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. bazza2000

bazza2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Papusan
    Cheers I`ve done powercut in throttle stop but didn't think of locking the CPU @3.0GHZ:vbthumbsup:

locked the CPU @3.1GHZ OMG why didn't I do this earlier it has made a 100% improvement. no limit reasons in throttlestop either but still getting a micro second where the FPS drop by about 10-15 fps , could this be the GPU lacking gigawatts from the 180W power brick?

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Vasudev, VICKYGAMEBOY and Papusan like this.
  2. XSSA

XSSA Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had a problem recently,

Whenever I am running a game at max load, my charger turns on/off. And another problem that has risen is that I have insane screen tearing now when I don't run v-sync, which was not the case before.

This problem started occurring around 3 months ago.

Specs:
    Alienware 17 R2
    Bios A10
    i7-4720HQ
    GTX 980M
    16GB RAM

I thought it was GPU drivers but rolling back and updating further didn't change anything.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need 230W or more Watts adapter if you're overclocking the CPU upwards of 3.5GHz. @judal57 has locked all core turbo to 31X using throttlestop and with undervolting the power is reduced. Look at removing nvidia bloatware drivers and go for minimal install which will reduce the screen tearing if recording option is enabled in nv GFE.

4. XSSA

XSSA Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have the 240W adapter, and I used to be able to have GFE overlay on w/ recording (which I don't even use anymore) and it still didn't tear as bad. I'm going to try using throttlestop now though.

I also don't know what you mean by removing Nvidia bloatware drivers. I have the 3D Vision, HD Audio, Graphics, PhysX, and GFE drivers installed.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't install 3d vision, GFE and other bloatwares after seeing custom j95 nv mods. Additionally, try the desktop nvidia drivers I'm desktop ones these days since I felt notebook drivers were slowing down/throttling my 980M.

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is always screen tearing without vsync. It might that before you had vsync forced in drivers or something like that. Borderless window mode also enabled vsync even though the game says not.

Regarsing your psu turning off. Might be the internal dc in cable that's fried.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    even i install driver only, with physx software and hd audio.. no 3d and GFE. btw u got throttle on gpu ??

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I noticed the degraded performance on newer notebook driver post 376.xx drivers.

9. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, i have to test this out, but how do u install desktop driver, does the inf contains 980m ??

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Papusan said 980 had a notebook version which didn't have M variant so I installed desktop driver and it supports most GPU dating back to keplers.
    One difference is you need to keep nvaad folder intact if you use hdmi quite often.