*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. HunterZ0

HunterZ0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Trying to use this guide but it's a mess, and it links off to some other thread that is supposed to have a Prema MEI tool that is nowhere to be found.

It also doesn't mention how to get an Intel ME .bin file.

Anyway, after messing around I see that my problem is likely that I'm stuck on ME firmware version 11.0.0.1194 H, and the Alienware 15R2/17R3 BIOS install doesn't update the ME firmware even though Local FWUpdate is Enabled for me.

How do I get the ME firmware updated? Do I just grab a .bin file from Station Drivers and use FWUpdLcl64.exe to install it? If so, which .bin file do I want?

Vasudev likes this.
  2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When you click Prema ME11 tool link which will direct you to another thread. On that thread click the link Team Blog which will redirect you to prema's website where you can download the MEtool to update.
    OR heres the link:
    https://premamod.wordpress.com/
    Once you in prema's website go to maintenance tab then firmware update. You should fine the MEtool for ME version 11.
    Also on guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-17-r3-or-possibly-other-bgas-as-well.813803/
    I will skip guide number 4 5 6 and 7 as I believe are not essential. Just install Dell's ME driver which is this http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=7CDG2
    then carry on.
    Please see and try the guide as you localME Firmware update is enable. You will have mo chance of success compare to me which mine is disabled. Hope this helps.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Earlier I linked to the MEIFW directly but Prema asked to add website instead of direct link so that any user must read T&C before patching.
    You can get the file from Win-raid called MEI 11 system tools and FW. Or unzip Prema ME11 tool and open Powershell or cmd as admin by pointing to the directory and use the cmd I mentioned in the guide.
    If you need more clarification PM me.

Papusan likes this.
  4. HunterZ0

Reputations:
    Thanks, I got it sorted: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ther-bgas-as-well.813803/page-8#post-10700807

Local FWUpdate was enabled for me, but the Prema thing disabled it and then tripped over itself because of that. Shorting the CLRP1 pins under my RAM was required to clear the CMOS and re-enable local FWUpdate, then I was able to flash using stuff from the win-raid forum/thread.

Thanks for trying to help, but the Prema site/tool and "Updating Intel ME Firmware" thread were more confusing than helpful on the whole.

5. SaigonBrit

SaigonBrit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got an email from Dell today talking about a critical nVidia driver update to GTX 960/970/980M in Alienware 13/15/17's.

Should I install this or just update my standard nVidia software via Geforce now?

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use the latest driver from nvidia. Usually dell doesn't email you. It might be Dell update notified you of the update.

7. HunterZ0

Reputations:
    Dell's stuff is almost always ancient compared to what you can get directly from the hardware vendor. Presumably this is because Dell runs some level of compatibility testing on every version they release, and they have a never-ending queue of testing to do.

Vasudev and rinneh like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is exactly whats up. They do indeed soem testing and repackage it for distribution through their channels.

9. bazza2000

bazza2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi my first post the forum .:)

I recently got a 17 r2 with 4710hq and 980m very cheap to replace a dead gigabyte p35 . this is my first Alienware/Dell product so thought I would give it a go. lovely design but over the last 4 weeks of using it mainly for gaming I noticed something wasn't right .
    So with a little google search I found this forum and I have spent the last couple weeks going through all the posts and got my knowledge on the 17 r2 the 1st thing I did was flashed the 980m with a modded vbios . I also done my home work on throttlestop and I am currently running a -70mV underclock and my temperatures don't go over 89c with a fresh thermal repaste.

The system came with the 180w power brick . It is currently running the latest A10 bios but I still get random fps drops which really are annoying .

So my question is basically is anyone still using the AW 17 2R2 and what bios you using and will the 240/330w Supply defiantly help as DELL/Alienware wont give me one as I`m not the original owner and plus its out of warranty , as I really don't wont to spend £70+ on "possible" fix

Sorry for the long 1st post thanks for any input

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    240w psu will help but not 100% sure if it will fully fix the dreaded 799MHz syndrome. See also http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...tles-to-0-78-ghz-xtu-says-thermal-but.801219/

@VICKYGAMEBOY can probably help.

Vasudev, Ultra Male and Falkentyne like this.