*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    Interested to see how you like the new machine Micky. I feel like they predict people will buy that amplifier or whatever they are calling that dock. I think that is supposed to provide some additional power, but I'm not sure. I was looking at the 15 cause I want a lighter machine and that 4k screen, but I'm gonna hold off and wait for broadwell. I don't really need a laptop till august anyway so I can afford to wait. :)

MogRules likes this.
  2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    the GA overrides the mobile GPU.

3. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    I know that, but I thought I also heard something about the higher end cpu's being able to overclock higher while plugged into the dock. Not sure though.

4. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One would think it would be pointless with the 17 and a 980m anyways, that mobile GPU is pretty damn impressive...I can't imagine what your trying to run short of something in 4k that the 980m can't handle at Ultra everything....my 780m is still keeping up so I can't see the 980m having problems for a long time.

5. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Didn't say I like it! I've waited around a year for them to make up their mind once the obvious change of market the AW R1 heralded in my eyes.

Now I see it's not a dell corruption, or Intel, or even the factories. They are all under pressure to cut emission and power draw. If they don't comply then governments (EU for sure) legislate against them. By plugging in an externally powered device (G/A) the certification is no longer valid/required and they can pull more power.

The MXM slot is dead. Who is going to manufacture them for such a small market once the OEM's solder? The GPU OEM's have had their mobile GPU sales decimated by Intel's decision to go on-die with a halfway decent GPU.

For me I thought I might be able to temper my disappointment by giving one a go. The G/A is a carrot for me as mobility is secondary. And it still plays to the enthusiast in me :D. Now they have restricted UK orders to the entry level CPU it's never going to fly for me. Guess demand in the US (where the CPU options are still being taken) has captured the stock :(.

Hope you're having fun with your DT build :D.

MogRules and bigtonyman like this.
  6. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    Always man, though most of my money is going into my truck these days. Plus I'm running out of upgrades. got two 1440p monitors, multiple gaming mice, really nice keyboard, and my system won't need an upgrade anytime soon.... till big Maxwell that is. :p

MickyD1234 likes this.
  7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Update!

True to his word the dell rep called and told me the 4980HQ is now available for order so I told him to pull the trigger. As soon as I have an ETA I'll update :D.

We will see...

ETA : On or before Feb 10.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    bigtonyman and Robbo99999 like this.
  8. tinker_xp

tinker_xp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the moment I find the Alienware.co.uk site is a mess, you can't change what OS you want on the laptops, can't change the RAM, no hard drive options and not only that but even if you select the Graphics adapter you no longer get an option for it to ship with any graphics card. Hardly a great start.

9. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's far from perfect. They seem to be trying to limit the configs, probably for support reasons. The GA has never had GPU options in the UK AFAIK, again, less they have to support. It's cost cutting on every front. At least they re-introduced the alienhead power switch haha...

10. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mhh i start beeing sad againt alienware.. aw was for me the best when i was young. Now i can buy them, i'm happy but i feel dissapointed to not be able to upgrade easely as a clevo. I council to my friends always clevo, they never had issues and are trully happy with. They just love the design of aw thats all as metoo now. But my next one will be certainly a clevo. I don't put lot of money in a system to be locked as a hp for upgrading, i think enginner forget that. If we want a working laptop, there are good brand not expensive. But gaming laptop is made to be upgradable, not beeing transformed into kinda desktop/portable. Next generation of aw is a bit bad for us, if one problem is present without warranty as i always am after a year, i can buy a new one for instead of a reparation certainly overprised.. i know everyone has his opinion and its hard to speak without having the new r2 in hand to talk about, but myself as i love upgrading to keep update in year,it seem that i will feel to pay a lot for having the beast of the year but the next year it will be not. They want us to buy the alien power for using it as desktop power: Its a great idea, i love it but for me an alienware should be the big overzised laptop powerfull, not a random laptop with integrated hardware. I dont know if dell or intel faulty.. but well, hope its not intel decision...