*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Raaf Rifandi likes this.
  2. Raaf Rifandi

Raaf Rifandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow,great to know it my friend !
    sukses disana :D

Vasudev and rinneh like this.
  3. Motorhead018

Motorhead018 Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings everyone,

Please forgive me as this is my first post in this forum (I've also searched and haven't found a solid answer yet). I am trying to decide on whether or not to buy the Alienware Graphics Amplifier. I have looked at the video card compatibility document and noticed the new GTX 10 series supposedly is compatible, however I know that higher end cards require more than 375-460w. I've seen here and there that people have said they have gotten a 1070 or a 1080 to work with the AGA. I am curious as to how to get the 1070 or 1080 to work with the AGA when it only supports 375-460w. Is the PSU that comes with the AGA changeable or am I stuck with using a lower end GTX1060 to 1050?

I also considered the Asus XG Station 2 https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessory/ROG-XG-STATION-2/ however they don't appear to be available in the US currently.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The numbers you name is for a full PC not just 1 card. The AGA PSU is sufficient for any GPU out there at this moment. The 1070 and 1080 do not use more than 200 watts of power from the PSU.

Motorhead018 likes this.
  5. SMRTpants

SMRTpants Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi new drivers were just released for Intel and Nvidia GPUs anyone know what it is for?

Video_Driver_R9FR7_WN32_20.19.15.4531_A04.EXE
    nVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M-960M-965M-970M-980M-Drive_VXHY0_WIN_21.21.13.7689_A02.EXE

6. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    if you see the numbers closely, its not the latest driver, for nvidia instance 3.7689 is 376.89 from official website, the current one is 382.05, and for intel its 4627, the one dell updated is 4531.. You can download from respective hardware sites for updated ones..

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel's current one is now up in 4664:rolleyes:

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There is a bug in Intel latest GPU driver on optimus enabled lappies, whenever I close and open the lid, the usb devices refuse to get detected by Windows, only workaround is to shutdown the PC, wait for 5 secs and then boot up.
    Also brightness option gets awfully low when i play game. I discovered the bug when I was doing my project presentation.

9. SMRTpants

SMRTpants Newbie

Reputations:
    Strange ever since i bought my laptop in 2015 there have only ever been 1 or 2 gpu driver updates. Does anyone know why Dell releases vga drivers after so long? I think the last one was more than a year away. Any advantages over the ones we can download from the hardware sites?

Yeah Nvidia ones are way ahead of the current Dell ones not sure why.

Oh yeah, not sure if its because I just downloaded and installed the Dell Intel drivers (left Nvidia alone). But there is less stuttering in games now. In fact almost none whereas previously it was stuttering in Overwatch non stop.

10. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Holy **** thanks for this info!

I sold the laptop in my sig to my roommate and he was having these issues playing player unknowns battlegrounds. He got a new charger and it didnt fix it. I told him to check the forums and he didnt and went and got an open box GTX 1070 alienware laptop for $1300 from Bestbuy.

He was so depressed that his laptop was broke, his USB ports would also stop working randomly. With this info I think we can fix it! His warranty had also recently expired.