*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This thread is a place to discuss all things related to your new Alienware 17 R2 and share information your experience with fellow owners, or a place that prospective owners can read and ask questions.

Below are some links that owners of this model may find helpful.

Manuals
    Alienware 17 R2 Service Manual

Dell Phone Directory
    Spare Parts and Accessories: Purchase your Upgrade, Accessories, or Replacement Parts 1-800-357-3355

For Alienware Support, avoid calling Dell Support. Call 1-800-ALIENWARE whenever possible.

Drivers

Alienware 17 R2 Official Driver Downloads

Benchmark thread
    *OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Benchmark Thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Having issues with your fans not working well? Please promote this and comment at IdeaStorm. This is the second generation of Alienware laptops with fans problems. It needs to be fixed, and needs to stop here.

http://www.ideastorm.com/idea2ReadIdea?v=1432006980935&Id=087700000009mDXAAY

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Dusk Star

Dusk Star Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, it looks like Dell announced the new Alienware 17 r2 at CES today, and there are some nasty changes!

There's some good things - an extra 5 macro keys to the left of the keyboard in addition to the 4 above the numpad from the 17r1, a connector for an external GPU like the AW 13 has (it's an external enclosure with a PSU and a physical x16 PCIe slot, 4x electrical iirc), and 1080p by default. You can also upgrade to touch for some reason, but I really don't see many doing this. There are also 4 m.2 drive slots for you to expand into. And, of course, it is significantly slimmer and lighter - 1.35' thick (down from 1.9') and 8.1lb (down from 9.1lb in the 17r1), which is not insignificant.

But the bad changes really add up. There is now only one 2.5" drive bay and no DVD drive, and only 2 sodimm slots - limiting the AW 17r2 to 16GB max ram. Because seriously, no one would ever mind halving the maximum ram, right?

And as the real kicker, it appears that the video card is NOT an MXM card, and is instead part of the "system board" which also seems to contain the CPU. And the CPU is now a BGA part (socket FCBGA1364) which means it is soldered in-place and non-upgradable. So all of the 'interesting' components are part of the same board, which is unique to the Alienware 17r2. To me, this kills any interest I had. Because seriously, what's the point of an Alienware that can't be upgraded?

AW 17 r2 Reference Guide
    AW 17 r2 Service Manual

3. Flaick

Flaick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well i dislike the only 2 RAM slot. For the soldered GPU i don't mind, cause surely will not spend lot of money (about 700$) to upgrade the GPU, i prefer buy a brand new Pc.

papusan likes this.
  4. toto29620

toto29620 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Goodbye alienware, you were a great compagny ( yea dell i know ).

Seriously , no dvd drive , bga gpu and cpu , at least we have now the 1080p screen from stock LOL. I will get an m18x r2 by some time and that will be the end of alienware gaming laptop for me.

papusan likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    What about those costly M.2 SSDs you must use? Do they not have a maximum size of 256GB? 180w power supply is like to go back in the past. (Msi received criticism for its 180w power supply earlier but has launched a bigger with the its new gaming laptop model With gtx980m) Forget overclocking on the new Alienware models. All other laptops with gtx980m have greater power supply due to the over 210W consumption during benchmark tests with processor and GPU.

6. Flaick

Reputations:
    Yes i don't use 4x M.2 SSD, so it's a waste. Maybe you right about power supply, but the new 9xx series required less power than predecessor.

papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    If you look at tests of new laptop with gtx980m you'll see that they use over 210W under benchmark tests showcased ..

8. Flaick

Reputations:
    210W?! So the 180w is not enough!

9. Papusan

Reputations:
  10. Flaick

Reputations:
    Yes but it's an MSI, the rest of the hardware may be different.