*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Benchmark Thread

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billyxq

Billyxq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems plausible that by removing these extra parts, we get better air flow/cooling. In fact, OP mentioned that the max temps he got while doing 3dmark11 is 66 degree. Considering that this is with stock thermal paste, its a major improvement compared to my 70 degree celcius with IC diamond 7.

2. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    I would hope this thing runs cool. The comparatively thick ASUS ROG G751, with a Blu-Ray drive and room for two 2.5" drives, runs very cool.

If Dell removed the optical drive and one 2.5" slot, while remaining as thick as the ROG, I would hope they provide better cooling/noise in return.

3. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really wanted to get this it will be my first upgrade since my m17r4 that's still running like a champ with my 3930xm and gtx 780m just gets annoying flashing bios all the time when I need to update my video drivers.... But I'm felling fleeted with a few concernes that are really eating at me.

1.) im pissed everything is soldered because I would have loved to just get the i7 4710hq model and upgrade the cpu later if needed. Now I feel forced to make a expensive decision I may not actually need to make now or be screwed.

2.) soldered gpu ...really?? Msi offered a 2 generation gpu upgrade plan and you throw out soldered..... This is a slap in the face to high performance mobile gaming. I understand not everyone upgrades their machines but there are a majority that do. I upgraded the gpu in my r4 3 times it was easy convenient and when you catch them on eBay are really not that expensive at all.

3.) and this is my biggest most crucial concern is that 180w brick.... I know it's been beaten to death but every benchmark I see for the 980m benched with the 4710hq is pushing 210+ watts so that means it's going to throttle. IM sure they will throw out some nonsense but we are not noobs here. Like my r4 it came with a 220 watt brick but when I upgraded my gtx 660m to a 680m I had to get a 330 watt brick to accommodate my gpu especially before I upgraded to my xm cpu. So I don't know even with the better power management and low tdp of the 980m how efficient it will be with the 4980hq. Something has to give and I'm positive performance will drop with a 180 watt brick unless we can plug in the 17 r1 brick for the better headroom.

It feels like this could have been the refresh that alienware just crushed it and stole the show, but for now I'll wait for more reviews and actual benchmarks before I drop $2500+ on a machine that could be cruisin for a bruisin with throttling issues

4. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    Yea I'm not quite sure how alienware thought that a 180w psu would be enough for a gaming system. C'mon now...

MogRules likes this.
  5. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    It's fine for the 970M. Most Clevo laptops come with a 180w supply.

I would just think they'd ship a 230w brick with the 980M systems.

6. hendav

hendav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you guys think we can use the 330 watt psu with the new a15?

7. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    you're probably right there, but should have figured this out before shipping the product.

We won't know until someone tries it. For some reason my r3 doesn't like the alienware 14's power brick though. Hopefully then didn't mess with the id chips or its going to be a ball of fun trying to get everything to work.

8. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yea you would think... Especially since all the benchmarks clearly indicate that it uses over 200 watts I don't know who the genius was that decided 180 watts was sufficent... It's holding me back on my sale until I see actual reviews because my logic is telling me this is set to fail and dellienware will adjust their strategy once it's more publicly known their brick is insufficient.

I just find it funny their slogan for this refresh is "full throttle gaming" yet they are launching systems with power brick incapable of delivering the proper amount of wattage. I wanted the i7 4980hq 980m flavor but there is no way that 180 wat brick is going to fully power the cpu and gpu to achieve full power modes and that is a fail in my book

9. just1tree

just1tree Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    3dmark vantage.jpg

Here are 3dmark Vantage scores, will update with firestrike here after it finishes downloading

10. bigtonyman

Reputations:
    Curious to see how it does vs other 980m equipped machines.

djcgeez2189 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.