*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 R2/R3 Benchmark Thread

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just1tree

just1tree Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah when I started moving around I remembered the stutter that I had to fix. I've played with various settings, rebooted and even added the game to nvidia panel to ensure it runs with the 980m. Gpuz indicated clock speed should be like 1100 with 1300 boost. I'm not sure if afterburner is reading the gpu clock correctly or not. I'm not used to Optimus so I'm not sure if there is a setting that I'm missing coming from amd.

2. just1tree

just1tree Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Drivers are 344.73. There wasn't any installation media actually. Really just the laptop, cord and the little pamphlet

3. Billyxq

Billyxq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @just1tree They did not even include the media/ OS cds? wow talk about cutting cost :D My first R2 came with a cap/ mouse pad/ laptop sheet as well as the rest of the media/OS cds. Even my subsequent AW 17 came with media and OS cds.

Try switching over to dedicated GPU mode and see if it makes a difference ( fn +f5) you might need to reinstall the drivers again upon switching.

4. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    What driver version are you using?

5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
  6. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I might buy another laptop, but I'll always be keeping my m17x r3. One of my favorite computers that I've ever had the privilege to use/own.

Ashtrix likes this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know, they have their ups and downs.....I like the thinner design and the extra set of tactx keys to the left of the keyboard, also the re-introduction of the alien head power light...I would actually love to know if that is a mod that could be done to the R1's although I doubt it.

As for the soldered crap , as much as I hate it , it has been pointed out many times that it isn't like Alienware is the only one doing it. Almost all the manufacturer's are doing this and if we should be blaming anyone that look to Intel and Nvidia. I imagine the actual percentage of people that upgrade the GPU's in these laptops is pretty low compared to how many they sell not that I am defending it. We all knew it was coming, Rumors have been circling about soldered CPU's at least for YEARS, don't be surprised if desktops go next....

As for that makes me ask "What were they thinking" I don't get why a HDD bay had to be removed, why they ditched mSATA for m.2 , why they dropped the ram from 32gb to 16gb or the removal of the DVD drive. I would have taken a thicker system like the R1 if it meant keeping those still in there.

I still would have really liked to see the old R4 keyboards come back, I really miss the outlines on the keys :(

Ashtrix, bigtonyman and MickyD1234 like this.
  8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    M.2 is a PCle port but really that speed is limited to 2GB/s vs the SATAIII's 6GB/s unfortunately all the ultraturd (Mr.Fox's dictionary;)) plague spreaded from those Apple's jokebooks....
    The old machines were built to long last and the newer machines catch grime and dust easily, As you said there are really ups and downs for both still the older Alienware machines looked somewhat different don't forget the removable battery and the touch panel :p

9. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The M.2 refers to the socket and ATM they come in two flavours. PCIe and SATA. Dell seem to have gone for SATA.

SSD Guide: M.2 PCI-Express, M.2 SATA, M-SATA And SATA Express - The Differences Explained!

Ashtrix likes this.
  10. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    I still want to get inside one of the new 17s and compair it to the old 17.... With all the things that were removed from the system and only a little bit thinner. Makes me wonder if there is just a giant open space in there or if they actually made the cooling system huge.

I mean, the things removed are
    dvd, hdd, 2 ram slots, space for mxm and cpu sockets, dmc slot, msata slot, 1 headphone jack....

How is this thing layed out inside to be able to remove that much stuff?

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to hack in the extra tactx keys into the old 17 :) As soon as keyboards and bezels are for sale on ebay for cheap, im going to hack one up and see if I can get the extra row of keys.

MogRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.