*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Throttlestop the main one.

captn.ko likes this.
  2. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn't ask you to look in BIOS, just check power limit or any other limit reason being triggered in HWINFO. See here:

[​IMG]

Your processor is more than capable of running at 4.1GHz. My older, inferior processor runs rock solid at 4.3GHz, but you have to unlock the power controls which are the PL1 and PL2 values. If they read PL1: 45W and PL2: 60W (I think) then this is locked and will prevent you from boosting to a higher clock when the power consumption to the processor goes about the PL1 value.

This pic is showing in HWINFO a fully unlocked processor (set to 210W in BIOS):

[​IMG]

And is therefore what you need to see.

UPDATE: Sorry, I've just noticed your processor is the "H" variant and not an "HK". Therefore your processors PL values are permanently locked and you will only be able to clock the processor to provide 3.9GHz max across all 6 cores if they are all turbo'd in parallel with each other. Maximum single core frequency (1 core turbo on it's own) is 4.1GHz.

See first paragraph here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-SoC.275944.0.html

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM
  3. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone got the 8750h and having issues with temps?
    Mine was fine for the first month and I've undervolted 100mv and capped it at 3.6ghz. I was getting temps of 60-70 but...
    Ive started to notice that now it's running hotter and temps go up to 91 93 when gaming and stress test has suddenly started thermal throttling where it didn't before.
    Ive emailed dell support but could this be due to settings or thermal paste burning up?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Bad heatsink fits. Just normal that the thermal paste will pump out. See also review of Alienware 15 R4 (i9-8950HK - GTX 1070)-Notebookcheck.com

KY_BULLET and raz8020 like this.
  5. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Too bad it's in German, I hope notebookcheck does one in English with the i7. From what I've seen from the screenshots it seems pretty bad, especially the surface temperatures.

6. David_HN

David_HN Newbie

Reputations:
    so can anyone tell me the gtx 1060 1070 in the latest model of Alienware 15 are Max-Q version of full version? I'm planning buying ones but I'm still confuse about this.

7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is the information from the DELL website:

upload_2018-7-16_13-22-12.png
    Can someone who owns one confiorm?

8. justo316

justo316 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just signed up to ask if anyone can confirm whether Optimus is actually supported on non-gsync versions of this laptop?

I got the regular IPS 60Hz screen with no gsync specifically so I could benefit from Optimus, however Optimus does not work on my 15R4. My dGPU is constantly in use. I have no option in Nvidia Control Panel to specify a preferred graphics processor. I can also use DSR (DSR is not supposed to be supported on Optimus enabled devices). Even if I completely disable my dGPU and force it to run on the iGPU, my battery life remains the same.

I suspect that my panel has been connected straight to the dGPU thus not allowing me to use Optimus. So I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this model is meant to be able to use Optimus and thus have the panel connected to the iGPU instead.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 7:49 AM
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I have translated some of the AW15R4 review in this post. Notebookcheck won’t make own English review (they will translate it and put it into their English website) Not sure if they will make a review with the i7. But I expect they will put out review with AW17R5 with the i9 as well. And not with the i7.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    KY_BULLET and Falkentyne like this.
  10. David_HN

David_HN Newbie

Reputations:
    that's the thing I feel very confused. only max-q for 1080 or max-q in all 1060 1070 1080. because I'm not English speaker so when translate it into my first language it can be read in two ways like that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM