*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I have a question about the G-Sync version of the laptop. I know that only the dGPU can be used to display but can the iGPU be used for programs like Photoshop where it can accelerate them? Is it even visible in the device manager? How long is the battery life? I don;t meant the best, just browsing, wifi and full brightness, not gaming.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The igpu doesnt do anything in the gsync version. Battery life is at most about 3 hours.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So no encoding or productivity support? Too bad. Is the G-Sync really worth it? I always preferred a dGPU and the scaling tools are also better, but since there already is an iGPU why not use it for something, if not for gaming. Is there any screen tearing on the model without G-Sync?

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is always screen teating if you arent using any form of sync, Gsync, Vsync or otherwise. So yes you can fix screen tearing by enabling Vsync but you will have a higher input latency because of that. Gsync is incredible to use to fix tearign without excessive input latency but in case of a laptop you lose a lot of your battery time. If you are using your laptop almost always on a desk with your power supply attached I wouldnt see any reason why to use the iGPU. It's only beneficial for saving your battery when away from a power outlet. With the iGPU and proper optimus support you should be able to get about 8 hours of battery time.

raz8020 and B0B like this.
  5. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's exactly my dillema whether I should get no screen tearing or continue using v-sync. The iGPU would be great for games like FTL and other light gaming and productivity tasks without any power outlet. So basicslly the iGPU just sits there and is not used for anything or does it still help with encoding? Too bad, but it's not a desktop. If anyone knows if it can be used for anything besides gaming let me know please.

PS. Is it even present in the device manager?

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    iGPU doesnt do anything in a Gsync machine. Its not wired to the screen and is fully bypassed.

raz8020 likes this.
  7. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So is it possible to get the 8750h with the 1070 version without heating issues out of the box with no throttling? Just curiois because Alienware is sending me a replacement laptop. Hopefully it doesn’t overheat.

8. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I'm struggling with mine now.
    Cinebench thermal throttles with temps of 95+.
    Undervolt and cap at 3.7 gives better results and much lower temps.
    Out of the box.... No.
    And googling it... Most of this gen run hot

9. Judrick

Judrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you cap it?

10. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    xtu, throttlestop

dasachmo likes this.