*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own all 3 thermal pads :) those few degrees to the bottom base does a lot. I can feel it with my hand.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well I cannto confirm this, have tested the Gelid pads, Minus pads and Arctic pads and all offer with the right thickness & pressure similar results. My palmrest isnt warmer or more cold with either of those pads. Havent measured it with a temperature sensor. The bottom panel hardly becomes warm with all pads. Too much air between the heatsink and the panel itself for it to have a real effect. The hottest spot on my laptop is next to the left arrow key on the palmrest and thats because of thsoe voltage regulators underneath that arent covered by a heatsink.

3. SplineO

SplineO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinking of getting a new Alienware. I need it somewhat more portable so I think I'm goint from the 17 R4 to the 15R4!?.

I was wondering what runs hotter in this chassis..1080 MAX-Q or 1070 OC? I REALLY want to have the system as silent as can be... as I do a lot of hours working and to some extend Gaming at night in our bedroom (which is where my desk is). Has anyone any comparison on that? Plus.. is there a version with Optimus here? The 4K option? How is battery life when turning off lights and brightness down etc..

4. siLK012

siLK012 Newbie

Reputations:
    Are all these Alienware R4s having heating problems?

I'm a noob getting into pc gaming, and my AW 15 R4 will be delivering Monday. Been reading this thread , and now I might be feeling regretful:/

5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    These are my findings too on the Alienware 17, used IR thermometer on keyboard and screen area, the previous laptop (which I returned) rose up to 52-53C right next to the right shift key, this one is at 45C, I will try to do it more often in case it rises, but this is a much better laptop anyway, its thermals are so much better out of the box.

6. shashank066

shashank066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone please tell me the panel name of the 1080p 60Hz IPS G-Sync on Alienware 15 R4? Need to swap my 120Hz TN to IPS. Any 15 R4 owner with 60Hz IPS?

Found it posted a few pages back.

B156HAN06.0 HW2A (AUO60ED)
    Part Number: Y502X

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did a quick search - but can someone confirm. I'm getting the Alienware 15r4 and also bought a WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB M.2 stick as additional storage. The Dell spec pages say each M.2 slot supports 1TB max (including the 2.5" drive bay!). This limitation seems odd, but before I crack open the new WD Blue drive - can someone let me know if the Alienware 15 supports 2TB drives on the M.2 slot?

8. rogsh

rogsh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 2TB HDD on the 2.5" drive bay and works great on my AW 15 R4, I'm sure the SSD will also work

9. rogsh

rogsh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't found those settings in the BIOS.... other users with AW 15 R4 or AW 17 R5 have reported the same behaviour.... I guess Dell limited the turbo frequency to avoid even further temps problems

10. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had my r4 for a few days now. Temps are much better than before. Playing games seems okay, but has anyone had an issue with wildlands
    ?
    Vram on gpu is only using about 2gb and Temps stay fine but the cpu went up to 70/80. It's a lot better than before but the fan speed is going at 100 with both balanced and performance modes.
    Surely that will knock out the fan if I'm playing for a hour or more right?

Even when I stress test in aida 64 the temps seem fine it's just playing this game which I didn't think was that cpu intensive?