*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not in my experience, always have been assisted very well in the netherlands.

c69k and Normimb like this.
  2. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can say the same for Poland.

rinneh and Normimb like this.
  3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also in Canada using Alienware phone support in english.

Envoyé de mon SM-G935W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

rinneh likes this.
  4. Technerd108

Technerd108 Newbie

Reputations:
    So reading these forum posts after I purchased an Alienware 15r4 I was a little scared I would have thermal issues. I ran a stress test for about 10 minutes and went into the Alienware command center and first had it set to performance. It started to overheat just a little then I set thermal to full throttle and temps went down from 92 and one short lived peak of 94c to around 59-62c. I am not sure how long to run the test but I just didn't feel good leaving all 6 cores at super high clock speeds for a long time. However the cooling system seemed to handle the load once the fans were set with no problem. No throttling and temps were consistent around 60c. I think that is pretty good. Now real world performance with GPU stressed along with the CPU may yield different results and I may try that next but for what I do I think the cooling solution is fine.

I got mine with 16gb ddr4 2666 ram, 256 GB nvme ssd, i7-8750h and ips 60hz gsync display. So far I am pretty happy. I had bought an Asus ROG Strix GL703GM which had very similar specs but a 120hz WVA TN panel. Cooling seemed worse on the Asus but overall for the cost it was a nice laptop. It was 17.3" vs. 15.6 and the funny thing is the Asus was slimmer under an inch thick and lighter with a mostly plastic build. So I took the Asus back and am going to keep the Alienware. This is my first Alienware so I had no idea what to expect.

Just thought I would give my experience so far.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    jpsm and dasachmo like this.
  5. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    After reading through this thread not sure if I want to buy the new alienware 15 now...Was on chat with support got them to bring down a 120hz 1080p w/ GSync and 1080 to $2999.99 pretax but not going to pull the trigger if the thermal issues are still there.

6. jpsm

jpsm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How are you able to go back to 60hz? Once you go 120hz there is no going back.....LOL going back to 60hz makes me feel like the pc is lagging or there is this kind of delay to it.

shashank066, Kalen and Pete Light like this.
  7. bhadrakalpa

bhadrakalpa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got AW15r4 i7 8750h/gtx1070/256ssd/16gig
    Donwside : ips 60hz no-gsync. Someone know if any screen ips 120hz will fit or AW have specific bracket position.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. jtravapd8578

jtravapd8578 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    6DB664F3-DBC5-41DE-9731-9A1481B5BF06.jpeg I just got a Alienware 15r4 going from a Alienware 18 (2013 version)

My 15r4 has 16GB ram, i7 8750H cpu, a 256 m.2 drive, and I switched out the 1TB data drive for my older Samsung 512GB SSD drive.

Does anyone know any mods we can do to be able to stack that 1 2 and a 1/2 TB drive back to back with my 512GB SSD drive? Or where can I buy the two other open disco
    Drives that fit into these two open m.2
    Spots as seen in this photo. As you can see one is longer then the other .

9. jtravapd8578

jtravapd8578 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh for those who want to know the 330watt power supply from the Alienware 18’s works perfectly with the 15’s. Not that you would want it but if you one day add new parts that require more overclocking power it can be used

Pete- 7r0jan likes this.
  10. DESTOMBES

DESTOMBES Newbie

Reputations:
    So I got my Alienware since few weeks now, and I’ll give you my feedback like I said before with the new VivePro.

Everything is really cool and easy to use.I have actually no issue using my Vive Pro. In process with this coolpad, A8EAD5AA-E581-4D8A-8DC4-F36483680734.jpeg GPU never goes up to 55’celsius and CPU 60’celsius. Don’t think to use it without a coolpad, I tried one session and I won’t do it again. It was painful for the laptop.
    To conclude, I’m glad to have those two beast under my roof. One of them keep me warm, now guess witch one it is???

...for the setting be ready to buy a male male mini display port, that all you need to go to heaven! My Gtx1080q love it..cheer bro

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018