*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. DESTOMBES

DESTOMBES Newbie

Reputations:
  2. css_jay99

css_jay99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,

please can anyone with the 1080p 60Hz IPS Display NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled let me know what the part number is shown in HWINFO?

I was trying to see in i can buy one to replace the screen in my AW15R2.

3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    15 r4 ips panel g-sync.PNG

shashank066 likes this.
  4. css_jay99

Reputations:
    Thank you very Normimb!.

1st time I am coming across this model, I take it that this was never offered on the AW15R3 so may work? but not show up as g-sync despite g-sync motherboard?

5. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Normimb do you have the 15r4?
    How are your thermals

6. Normimb

Reputations:
    I answered your question in post #716 on the 17r5 forum.

Envoyé de mon SM-G935W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

7. css_jay99

Reputations:
    I just spoke to Dell UK about getting the AUO60ED (60hz IPS g-sync) panel. They were adamant that if the bezel is taken off, It wont fit properly back again so I will need a new assembly (whatever that is) as well.... and they were willing to supply+fit for £197 and let me off the cost of the assembly

Is this true or just a fib?. The youtube video i saw shows a straight forward replacement of the screen ... similar to any other Dells I have replace damage screens on

8. css_jay99

Reputations:
    just to add as well, Dell refuses to sell me the screen because the system is still covered by premium support!

Is this correct?

9. Normimb

Reputations:
    New bios 1.1.6 installed on my 15r4 (I7 8750H, 1070GTX) and temps are even worst for me. Thermal throttling and average of 97C running aida 64, FPU CPU test. what is impressive is as soon as i start the test, temps reach 85C before the fan even starts. Also i tested OCCT and after 2 minutes test the cpu was showing 85C so i assume if i let it go another 15 minutes it will reach above 90C for sure.
    Just to clarify the temps are worst for me with this new bios and i have LM condoctonaut on both cpu and gpu and undervolt 150mv. Original pads. I am in the procees of system exchange but tought i would share my experience for those of you who had hope for this new bios. Also i am the previous owner of 15r3 7700hq and 7820hk and have experience in repasting sucessfully those system. This one i have no success.

raz8020 likes this.
  10. Fleischhaus

Fleischhaus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy,

maybe you guys can help me out.
    I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, i.e. an AW 13 R3 with the sexy OLED display or an AW 15 R4 with the beefier GTX1070 and the 120Hz TN screen.
    I'm not just looking for power and (or versus) portability, but a piece of tech that will make me happy everytime I look at it. Super in love with the OLED display of the13" but I'm afraid that the processor and/or gfx might be obsolete pretty soon. Price difference with the student discount for Germany is around €200,- (1850,- for the 13" vs. 2050,- for the 15")

Also, as I browsed through this thread, all the horror stories about ****ty paste jobs, warped cooling units and whatnot got me kinda worried. If I spend 2 grand on a laptop, I expect perfection.

Thanks a ton!

(Still waiting for the money to come in from Asus, who managed to lose my laptop. Week 7 so far, but I'm clinging. Hope Dell offers better customer care)

Cheers!

11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Consumer Dell in Europe is usually not a great experience, they only really care about the pro market here..

You would be better off with a Clevo or MSI laptop..