*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Apr 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Because blocking it off pushes the air back into the chassis.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The i7-8750H has much higher TDP than the i7-7700HQ at stock speeds and voltage. Given that we know Dell's QC for their heatsink and factory paste job is already not good, it does not surprise me that the 15R4 runs hotter than the 15R3.
    With a heatsink that is making proper contact with the CPU, you will get hot air out of both back vents and the left side vent under load.

improwise likes this.
  3. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can i ask about screens

Dell has two screens for the alienware - (1070OC card)

15.6 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Display- Silver Chassis

15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS Display NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled- Silver Chassis

Is it worth getting the Gsync? i was underwhelmed at the Gsync screen i ordered first - it wasnt as sharp as my 1080 XPS. I think is it something to do with model numbers so are the two screens different or just the same screen with a gsync chip in?

Im thinking to try the non gsync panel if its going to be better or sharper.
    PS my XPS screen is AU Optronics B156HW01

4. DESTOMBES

DESTOMBES Newbie

Reputations:
    Hy everyone,

You can see my configuration,
    If you have any questions?

Alienware 15 R4

Processeur Intel® Core™ i9-8950HK de 8e génération (six coeurs, 12 Mo de mémoire cache, overclocké jusqu‘à 5 GHz)

Windows 10 Famille 64 bits anglais, néerlandais, français, allemand, italien

Carte graphique NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 avec 8 Go de mémoire GDDR5X

Écran UHD (3 840 x 2 160) 60 Hz 15,6 pouces avec technologies IPS et NVIDIA G-SYNC, châssis argent

32 Go (2 x 16 Go) de mémoire DDR4 à 2 666 MHz
    400-AXHC

Disque SSD M.2 PCIe de 1 To

Killer 1550 Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2x2 et Bluetooth 5,0

Sincerely.

M.G

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. Why have you gone all out about €3700 on a max q config that a 1070 can achieve with OC. And a next gen 1180 that will probably be closer to a 1080ti? That’s about a 50% increase if you can wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. dasachmo

Reputations:
    you'd have to wait until the end of the year - latest news is a slight delay in 11xx/20xx series of GPU's and production wont start till aug/sept.

7. kyussmanchu

kyussmanchu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Based on the thermals from the poor souls who have posted screenshots, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a new model Alienware laptop at this point. Jeez am I ever glad I jumped off the AW train when I did.
    Do yourselves a favor guys, just get a desktop PC.

shashank066, Ashtrix, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. dasachmo

Reputations:
    Just had a question about RAM. How easy is it to upgrade (add in another stick of 8gb 2400) to these laptops, are there any compatibility issues... Should I order extra from the start or can I add it later without too much issue?

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are very good laptops out there that you don’t have to resort to a pc. But that depends on your expectations.
    I can never get when someone that doesn’t like laptops or their experience owning one thinks that everyone else uses it the same as one that suggest to ditch it. Like there are some that travel. No real space for it.
    I move around the house using mine etc.
    If non of that applies then sure pc is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. HzSa

HzSa Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, I just undervolted my i7-8750h (in my Alienware 15 r4) by 0.350 V ! All cores are capped at 3.6 ghz and cpu stays at 3.6 on all 6 cores through an hour of Bf1. The temps are really good now, stays under 77 degrees Celsius, and obviously doesn't throttle. The Alienware's cooling solution isn't the best (was getting low 90's without undervolt), but damn can these coffee lake cpu's undervolt! Also this is without a repaste and I'm using throttlestop.

raz8020 likes this.