*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok thanks so just go ssd and not m. 2?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

2. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And where are the Fix on the heatsink + thermal problem Dell aka Mr. Azor and Mr Umar talked about? Ask Dell support about the new fix!!

Info for you http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...scussion-thread.794965/page-328#post-10390333
    See the link I posted. The almost 5 year old mobile *socket* i7 beat the newest from Intel.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  3. Madwe

Madwe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And thats why syntetic benchmarks doesnt mean ****. Hell ,the diference can be because the +100mhz on the older one...

4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Slightly higher processor frequency is not everything as you should know. IPC is increased with each new gen processors. For example the older Haswell provide worse than the Skylake by the same processor clock speed. This means.. Although the 5 year old tested processor has slightly increased clock speed... Should Skylake lying ahead even with lower clock speed. Remember we compare the newest gen i7 with a almost five year old medium quality mobile i7:)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You mean like this? http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10073378

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    To those that lose at them consistently and need to justify the existence of wimpy BGA turdbooks they mean nothing. To those that enjoy the glory of wining synthetic benchmarks which are, for all intents and purposes, the technical equivalent of extraordinarily demanding game, they do matter. Saying they don't matter is just a seriously worn out excuse. Newer often means inferior. Sometimes newer is better, but it is frequently inferior.

Papusan likes this.
  7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    That's kind of the point, that there current models are not only soldered, but worse than predecessor models. A lot of laptops come with 6700HQs and cannot be changed due to the solder, and the CPU is decidedly very weak. On the other hand, if it wasn't soldered, you could drop in say... a 6820MK if it existed aftermarket and run it at 4GHz+ daily (power draw and notebook cooling permitting).

Pairing a 6700HQ with any pascal laptop as a default is a kind of crime in my eyes, but it's more so because you can't simply swap it out for a better mobile CPU.

Also, I have a sort of renewed distaste for soldered components since my PRIMARY 780M died on me a few days ago. I simply swapped it out for my slave and put the now-defective primary in the slave slot for safe keeping and disabled SLI. If I had that ASUS GX800 or the upcoming Acer Predator SLI model and I was 2 months out of warranty like I am right now? I'd have a paperweight that cost me about $3600.

CaerCadarn, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How did you break the 780m? :)

If it's soldered you wouldn't be able to remove it and futz around with it, reducing the chance of failure.

I've only had LGA parts fail, never had a soldered GPU/CPU fail.

If it happened, it would suck, especially out of warranty, but such are the 1st world problems we all must bear as part of the joy's of modern life.

I turn over hardware too quickly to run into much non-warranty work.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    First world problems exacerbated by third world garbage (BGA). :vbwink: We rise no higher than their level of incompetence.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. davver99

davver99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    what is the latest nvidia driver for the 15 r3 with gtx 1070 i have 369.32