*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think you understand how G-Sync works. If your average framerate is less than 120 fps, then enabling G-Sync is the only thing you need to do. There is literally no benefit to running the display at 100Hz vs 120Hz. If the game is running at 110 fps, then G-Sync will automatically reduce the display's refresh rate to match that. You don't need to do it manually.

FMruss and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought there was a range of operation where G-sync would track the difference between refresh and actual FPS, but below that it wouldn't track. So dropping the base refresh rate was required / desired.

If you have experience with using G-sync on a 120hz/144hz monitor, and G-sync tracks down all the way to 30hz, that would be great.

Does it work that way for you?

It should then also work if we do manually tune the refresh lower, closer to the actual average FPS of a game.

Whether there is a benefit to that or not, I don't know, but it would be fun to find out :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. CarbonTwelve

Reputations:
    There is a range at which G-Sync operates, but reducing the screen's refresh rate isn't going to improve the G-Sync range.

It depends on the specific monitor/panel, but G-Sync typically operates all the way down to 30Hz. FWIW, AMD's FreeSync is capable of working all the way down to 9Hz, but most FreeSync monitors only support down to 40Hz (and some not even that).

Yes, it should work, but as I said there would be no benefit. You're not going to get a lower G-Sync minimum by manually lowering the display's refresh rate.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, I already had all those specs for G-sync, including the range of effective use, and it will be fun to test out how it works.

Please let us know how your use of the internal 120hz display works out :)

5. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Colonel Panic likes this.
  6. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    overclocking , when i boot to bios under advanced i click and enable cpu performance , however no other settings to overclock the cpu , am i missing something here ? what happened to level 1,2,3 you uaed to be able to select .

i have the i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost

guess i need to get up to speed , my last system was the alienware m11x . any pointers would be appreciated,

thanks.

7. CarbonTwelve

Reputations:
    There is no overclocking with the 6700HQ. You need the 6820HK to be able to overclock.

hmscott, Papusan and ex-28 like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You are stuck with 3.1 GHz on all 4 cores. And almost no software / games use single core. Aka higher Single core clockspeed up to 3.5GHz is almost worthless:cool:

Bubloo likes this.
  9. ex-28

ex-28 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ok thanks , on a side note is the 6700 cpu upgradeable on the the 15r3 ? if so what socket.

also side note configureing the 15r3 i no longer see an option for the i7-6820HK cpu i swear it was there last week.

10. CarbonTwelve

Reputations:
    No, it is soldered to the motherboard.

Depends on region and stock availability. For instance, it's still available from the Australian store, but only in certain configs.

ex-28 likes this.