*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I knew i was treading dangerous grounds.. expected to see some people defending their purchases. :p

Papusan likes this.
  2. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's nothing to do with defending purchases. It's a matter of laying blame where it's appropriate. Manufacturing faults happen, and there would be half a dozen sub levels of people under Frank Azor before you reach the person responsible for the problem (or even the person responsible for checking for the problem before it shipped).

If you want to make accusations about the direction Alienware is headed (ie BGA discussion) then sure Frank Azor is the one responsible, but a build fault at the factory? Definitely not him.

3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where's a 6700HQ in this machine that is "fine" ? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen someone post up some benches/thermals of just the normal 6700HQ. The 6820HK runs at 3.2ghz across 4 cores.. and was already hitting near thermal limits of 100c under Cinebench R15, which takes like less than 60 seconds to run.. That's scary.. What other systems hit this level of thermals in under 60 seconds with 6700HQ/6820HK? Most laptops out there are still in the process of "Warming up" during this test.. and have to run OCCT/Prime95 for at least a few minutes before they see their upper limits.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Disputing where to lay the blame? I'm over that.. It sounds like you personally know the guy at this point. I'm more interested in why user's HAVE to professionally repaste their brand new machines to keep things under control.

5. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, I just know that a general manager isn't the one responsible for build issues.

You're right, they shouldn't, and Dell needs to do something to rectify the situation. Generally they have very good support though, and I haven't heard of anyone being refused a refund / replacement / service so far.

Look, I'm not trying to say this isn't an issue. The CPU temps are unacceptably high. For those willing to get their hands dirty, this isn't a significant issue as they can repaste their laptops (which is why a lot of people aren't going to be regretting their purchase). For everyone else, it's bad, and needs to be fixed.

Papusan and Diversion like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I only re-paste for benching and overclocking. You can't use stock thermal paste from ODM/OEM or resellers if you bench at 4.8 GHz, but stock paste work for 4.0 and even 4.4 GHz. Overheating in bench with a wimpy 3.1 - 3.2 or even 3.8 GHz is nuts!! I talk about same multi on all cores!!

Diversion likes this.
  7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm just worried that AW is going to start telling people that their thermal issues are "Within spec" and hope it blows over... The sad part is that we're not the kind of people they want to sell to.. They want to sell the the average user that has no idea their CPU isn't performing like it should.. or that things are potentially overheating. Even if everyone on NBR returned their AWs back, they've already sold more to the general populace otherwise to not hurt their bottom line at this point.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Correct.. I don't think I can break out of the 50C range if I bench at 3.1ghz/3.2ghz across 4 cores.

Papusan likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually it's Vsync enabled alongside Gsync that does the frame limiting.

If the performance won't reach 120 fps to match the default refresh of 120hz, Vsync can't do anything to increase the FPS.

You need to decrease the refresh rate to just under the average FPS the laptop can perform in that game, and then Vsync / Gsync will be of use again.

Nvidia G-sync FAQ
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have bench Cinbench R15 with a score of 1001 cb with @4.5GHz and max 48c degrees:D Almost same as idle temp on the new Aw machines:cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Diversion likes this.