*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With absolutely minimal battery usage (ie, pretty much just notepad), yet with full brightness, I got about four and a half to five hours this morning. I expect Optimus would give 7 to 8 with this usage.

2. imotep06

imotep06 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, isnt there a way to scale the GTX performances down when its idle or web browsing? in GeForce manager or something? thats really annoying..

3. CarbonTwelve

Reputations:
    The GPU already does that. It uses 120W when it's under load, and only ~10W at idle. The problem is that that 10W is roughly the same as what the rest of the system uses at idle, hence why it's still double the total power consumption.

At the end of the day, for the Alienware laptops you're just going to have to make the choice between long idle battery life vs G-Sync with 120Hz.

4. imotep06

Reputations:
    hum that sucks, but i'm still going with that 120Hz panel, the few times i'll take it off power to browse the web, i don't think i'll need more than 3+ Hrs so...But that still sucks lol..

5. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought that the gsync ones had the old crtl+F6 re-implemented. So that you could toggle between the igpu and the nvidia.

Alienware used to call this feature "Binary GFX"

6. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz [LHz]

Reputations:
    Hello fellow 15R3 Owners...I've got some good news for you. So as many of you are aware or are experiencing the uneven core temps, along with high CPU temps...here's some hope.

News Flash: For those of you with the 15R3, keep in mind that the fans are smaller than the 17R4 so don't get let down by not being able to achieve the temps of the 17R4. Expect to have a little higher temps from the 17R4's, but if you repaste with liquid metal you should be well within the comfortable range so no need to worry.

The CFM ratings for the 15R3 are:
    7.6 and 8.7

The CFM ratings for the 17R4 are:
    12.1 and 12.8

This translates to the CPU fans being ~37% larger and the GPU fans being ~32% larger on the 17R4, which is a big difference guys so again, 15R3 owners, don't be discouraged.

Spoiler alert...

Can the 15R3 achieve as good of temps as the 17R4? - Drum roll....

YES! In fact, if you have a chip that is a silicon lottery winner, you can tune it to achieve some great temps! I've been here at my work station tuning a 15R3 for hours and finally found the sweet spot...check out the results! (BTW notice the even core temps?)

1 HOUR of running OCCT. (Check out the average temps!)

[​IMG]

Enjoy...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    judal57, hmscott and Darkhan like this.
  7. CarbonTwelve

Reputations:
    No, the Fn+F7 key combination is disabled for G-Sync motherboards. And note that the motherboards are indeed different; the display is connected directly to the GPU for G-Sync, so there's no way to ever use the integrated GPU.

8. imotep06

Reputations:
    Could you please explain what you did and how? Thanks

ex-28 likes this.
  9. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    dell put that on my computer about 4 days ago, it doesnt do anything but keep the fans running longer lol.

10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @iunlock Big Thanks for getting my beast to perfect temps!

Looking forward to seeing what you can get the new 13 temps at!

iunlock likes this.