*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The new BIOS 1.06 apparently increases the Stock clock ,6820HK, temperatures in the 15R3

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    His 6820HK Core's 0 / 2 are running about 10c hotter than the others, that's not good, and is putting his CPU in thermal throttling too soon.

Please check your own 6820HK for "hot" cores, and if they are 10c+ hotter than the other cores, you should return your laptop for another - the max differential between cores should be 5c, most CPU's have a 0c-5c differential.

Warning: Some i7-6820HKs have Uneven Core Temps
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/warning-some-i7-6820hks-have-uneven-core-temps.797477/

Papusan likes this.
  3. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. TheSandman2236

TheSandman2236 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got my 120hz 15R3 last night, this panel is GLORIOUS!

quantumshadow and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Congrats :)

Can you please check if that 120hz panel can be tuned for other refresh rates than 120hz?

Like 60hz, 75hz, 100hz, and points in between. It's easy to set up an Nvidia Custom resolution, just make one with a different refresh, keeping everything else the same, kinda looks like this:

Nvidia Control Panel Custom resolutions.JPG

We've heard it can't be OC'd faster than 120hz, but so far no one has confirmed that we can reduce the refresh to match slower running games / apps - ones that have an average FPS less than 120 FPS to match the 120hz refresh.

Thanks!

TheSandman2236 likes this.
  6. TheSandman2236

TheSandman2236 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure, i'll give it a go on my lunch break

quantumshadow and hmscott like this.
  7. zeroibis

zeroibis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gsync will match the refresh rate to the fps of the game...

hmscott likes this.
  8. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Feeling bad for all of you that jumped on this new AW model.. seems like nothing but various issues.. the whole CPU overheating fiasco is out of hand. It's sad when Azor talks about zero throttling under any situation and it's the complete opposite. Surprised that he still has a job. Or rather allowed these new products to be sold like this. And the BIOS update simply ups the fan speeds from ridiculously loud.. to ridiculously louder is not a fix.

Papusan and quantumshadow like this.
  9. CarbonTwelve

CarbonTwelve Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I mentioned in the comments, his settings were still set to overclock. Check the Crysis 3 screenshot at 3 minutes. The clock speed is set to minimum of 3.6GHz and max of 3.9GHz. Even in the other screenshots (where he's cut out the speeds) you can see the CPU package is drawing more watts than it does at stock.

For as much as that guy has been providing a lot of info, a lot of the time he doesn't really know what he's doing or what he's talking about...

Are you able to check what panel the screen is? HWiNFO should be able to tell you.

There are a couple of issues, but the same is true for most brands at the moment. The zero throttling thing does seem to be true for the vast majority of people; yes, it's running hot, but it's not throttling for most people. On top of that, mostly seems to be due to bad thermal paste from the factory. Not sure why you think the general manager should be fired for that. As for the fan noise, I haven't seen anyone complain about it being too loud. In fact, for the most part people praise the fan noise; 'just a gentle woosh' is what most people seem to describe it as.

10. Pallab

Pallab Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Sandman, can u tell us the model name of your display panel from HWiNFO and AIDA64?
    Please, Upload a screenshot from HWiNFO and AIDA64 for the panel name.
    I can verify if it has PWM.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016