*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jayc0au

jayc0au Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the 1st gen 15 R3 i7-6700HQ GTX1070. It's still going and plays all the latest games.

I'm needing to repaste once a year but I believe my heatsink has warped as the temps on the GPU have increased.

Has anyone replaced the whole heatsink before and where can I buy? I'm not sure if I trust most of the ebay offers.

This one is an expensive heatsink replacement and looks like a different design:
    https://tinyurl.com/wutm4w9

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there!

Same config and I must say I that i too am enjoying the latest games at high settings with 60+ FPS. I did re paste mine this pas summer using Liquid Metal and I was very impressed by the temps.

Curious to see your results (and any responses related to the heatsink). Hope it all gets sorted out for you.

3. J888www

J888www Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ble-dust-build-up.813509/page-4#post-10771364

@rnneh. You're a loser !
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."

NB "The images are from a brand new heatsink so it isn't brittle after Months in high temperature"
    Therefore I did not "wrongly take it apart" as you'd imagined, it does NOT make logical sense to attempt opening/disassemble something which is #BrandNew.

No matter how many attempts to twist it around, we as owners of DELL Alienware devices now know for a fact that it's diabolical crap.

4. b.kolev

b.kolev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I have the first gen 15 r3 with i7 6700hq and GTX 1070. Soon I will get the Area 51M R2 if it is enough good for the price.
    I need to upgrade the ram (currently at 16GB stock dell ram) because I work on this station and it is not enough for the work I do.
    I am looking at G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM memory.

The thing is that I want to use that RAM (G.Skill) on the Area 51M after I buy it. I know that my system is not supporting more than 2400mhz, but the question is - Will this ram (G.Skill) would run on my system even capped at 2400mhz?

I don't want to buy something that I am not sure it is working.

Thank you in advance!

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't think 3200MHz is possible but Dell lists 15r3 running at 2667MHz, dunno if its Kabylake only or skylake/kabylake.

6. b.kolev

b.kolev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know the ram will not be running on 3200 Mhz. The thing that concerns me is that - if the system will boot with that ram - even on 2400 or 2667 Mhz.

I just want to use that RAM on my current laptop until I buy my future laptop even on lower speed :/

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With Dell BIOS I can't promise. You might run it today, at some point later when you have urgent work to do on laptop, suddenly it gives 7 beeps of death or 3 beeps for no reason, then you come to conclusion its higher MHz RAM.

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  8. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edit:

Realized I was posting in the wrong thread. Apologies, this was regarding the newest model.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. cassinismasher

cassinismasher Newbie

Reputations:
    Carbonaut: a non-thermal paste definitive solution to the overheating

Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut is a high-performance thermal pad. You can learn more about it here.

Yes, its performance is no better than high-end thermal pastes. But it's very convenient because it requires no maintenance. It's reusable and doesn't deteriorate over time which makes the perfect thermal solution for laptops.

Manufacturers would get rid of a lot of headaches and maybe even improve the amount of time that a laptop spends in the assembly line if they used a solution like this.

Actual results

My laptop had a service around October 2019. Fast forward to the past few days and games became unplayable. I could only use it for light tasks. It has

Windows 10 1909
    Intel i7-7700 HQ
    GTX 1070
    16 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz

These are the thermal interfaces, before and after (yeah, ****ty camera):

https://imgur.com/5dnJjzN [​IMG]

https://imgur.com/09s72eW [​IMG]

In what follow, both tests were done using the SupportAssist GPU Stress Test. I know that this test is not as demanding as any modern game. But the point I'm trying to get across is that the performance of this unit was so bad that you could see it even in this test.

Red is before and green is after.

Thermals:

https://imgur.com/4x6LiBx [​IMG]

CPU Clock Frequencies:

https://imgur.com/GSVoQNj [​IMG]

Temps are okay, but the improvement in CPU speed is dramatic. Not getting over 1 GHz was what was preventing me from playing games.

Considering that I'll never have to reapply, it's a very good deal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    So, fun fact: if you try to plug a G-Sync panel to a motherboard that doesn't support it, the laptop will give you an LCD Failure light pattern because it thinks the LCD is dead when it actually isn't.
    I only know this because my 15 R3 is being repaired, and Dell sent the wrong motherboard (hopefully I get the right one next time).

etern4l, Vasudev and 0lok like this.