*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope, just disconnect the RTC connector from the mainboard as per iunlocks guide

Sorry been away for a while, tested and confirmed its working fine on my 17 R4

Hear hear, people are not stupid, most know what they're getting into these days if they buy a gaming laptop in a thin chassis with "desktop level performance". My point is that they have a higher toleration for issues and thermals.

Well said, I've had a similar argument as well as many other Alienware forum users over the past 18 months with exactly the same points. Hiding behind the "I'm speaking the truth" and "I'm helping people out" argument to instead convey what he really wants to say which is to put everyone off buying any Alienware or BGA based notebook because it's not what he wants, pathetic.

2. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree with most of this. People in general, don't give a **** about internal temps as long as it works well. People also, in general, prefer thinner, lighter laptops as opposed to three inch thick beasts that barely ever go above room temperature.

While some users seem to be filled with rage about Alienware (and practically every other gaming laptop brand) switching to BGA components in order to keep size down, you have to realise that most consumers literally don't know what that is, and those that do don't care. If it isn't burning them when they touch it, and it can play games just fine, it doesn't matter how hot the internals are. As another poster said, Apple sell extremely well and their machines often have exceptionally hot internals.

I myself am a fan of cooler temperatures, which is why I repaste my machines to make them run as cool as I can, and my main complaint with Dell is quality control and paste quality etc. These machines have good enough cooling that (when the tripod heatsink works) temperatures should be within a reasonable range, unless you're overclocking heavily etc. Users recieving a laptop that hits 100° under load, causing it to start throttling and performance to drop is however unacceptable.

Regarding BGA, I'm really not too concerned. Expensive repairs? Sure. But these laptops have a warranty for a reason, if it breaks, they'll have to fix it. Dell can pay for my new motherboard.

I don't want a super thicc laptop just so I can change the CPU/GPU myself. I'll likely overclock then upgrade before that becomes a concern. I don't care enough to want the size tradeoff, and nor do 95% of the people Dell (and any other manufacturer) sell to. They have to appeal to the majority of buyers. Not a small, but vocal minority chanting 'Down with BGA'.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CanIbiteYou and Pete Light like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In my opinion repairing it is overrated. A motherboard can be bought with all components assembled for about 600~800 euro's online. THats a similar pricerange to a single MXM GPU board.

And hwo often did someone see a CPU die on them? In my 20+ years of working on PC's I never ever saw a CPU dying. Only on videos back in the days where people were removing coolers on purpose to see what would happen with an old AMD athlon Thunderbird CPU. If there is no throttling then in general the system would function well enough and within spec. I myself want the internals cooler though for minimizing all risks and thats why I did a repaste.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Why can you sit down say I don't help people? What you know? You have seen all my posts and PM?

And for the records... I'm very interested in tech. Often 24/7/365. BGA or not.

Btw. New review up (Aw15R4 and unlocked i9-8950Hk). See the final review conclution... "With a few millimeters more height and the resulting airspace, the system would probably do better"

And don't shoot the messanger.
    If people are happy with 100C, Oh'well. And temps above 85C and you overclock your Intel chips... You expect 100 or 110% stability (24/7/365)?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Ashtrix, Vasudev and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  5. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was trying to decide between building a new desktop, (case and all) or, getting a graphics amp, and a newer monitor. Chose to go with the latter, as performance wise, I'm very happy with the 6820hk. Went with a good deal on the AW2518h monitor, to replace my six year old Walmart 21.5" (I've never even bothered to hook it up to the laptop). It looks like the latest nvidia cards will be out before too long, and it didn't make sense to purchase a same series card as an update. Gonna wait for the next gen cards, before using the amplier. Soooo... Should I need any special cable for the 1080p 240hz g-sync monitor? I doubt the 1070 is going to deliver anywhere near to constant 240hz, but perhaps I can change the refresh rate in CRU? I certainly had NO LUCK at all hooking up my 4k television. Best I could get with hdmi was 1080p. Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm sure others are using external monitors, as well.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use the displayport connection.

Jayce 71 likes this.
  7. Jayce 71

Jayce 71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply, rinneh, will do. Dang! It looks pretty smooth, playing Farcry 5 at 240hz!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    rinneh likes this.
  8. X05

X05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, sorry to quote you again, but have an update on this.

I tried updated a bunch of stuff including the BIOS and all drivers, to no avail, it still froze. I'm still on W10 1709 so was considering to try updating to 1803 to see if it helped any, but before that I decided to recheck every driver on Dell's site, and noticed something. I wasn't paying much attention to the video driver as the one I had installed was version 391.35, which was newer than the version on Dell's site (391.25). Decided to install it anyway, and it looks like that did solve the freezing problem for me, as I haven't had a single one since then a little over a week and a half ago (knocks on wood, but mind that I had several of these daily!).
    I'm wondering if there's something particular about the driver, as it doesn't look like that said version of the driver is on nVidia's site (I can see 391.24 and a bunch of others but not 391.25, maybe it's an Alienware specific hotfix?)

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    The different OEM’s have own version numbers for the Nvidia drivers.

X05 likes this.
  10. X05

X05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, for some reason thought vendor-specific video drivers were not a thing anymore (except on workstation side, for obvious reasons) and the drivers on Dell's site were just repackaged regular drivers.
    So now I'm wondering why these fixed my issue though, given that the freeze issue I had is not exactly common and I assume most are getting their drivers from nVidia rather than Dell, since these are gamer machines.