*OFFICIAL* Alienware 15 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Apologies if I change the topic, but new 15 R3 owner here. Finally got the laptop after some hurdles. Going to be doing a clean install of Windows, and I forgot what order I need to install the drivers. Does anyone have a step-by-step list?
    EDIT: Never mind. Found one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Many people appreciate being warned about broken garbage they are considering purchasing. All laptops are broken garbage (including the LGA Clevos) that has been castrated by their manufacturers. The problems with BGA are simply more severe. Understanding the business reasons behind it makes it hard to support the corrupt motives regardless of whether or not a particular product is potentially good enough to meet your needs. If you have to buy a replacement motherboard out of warranty for a "high performance" BGA notebook that you were content to continue using for the foreseeable future, the price will change your tune. They are designed to be disposable and cost prohibitive to repair. Kudos to @Papusan for helping people avoid regrettable purchases. He's an awesome guy. He only speaks truthfully and presents facts. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it doesn't change the facts.

3. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Wasn't arguing facts at all, in my post I said that there are trade offs and compromises with the laptops available today. This forum is about preparing users on what to expect, how to handle it, and what to do if something goes wrong. One point I do HIGHLY agree with from your post, anyone not buying a warranty for at least as long as they plan to use one of these notebooks is playing with fire and will likely get badly burned.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Maybe start reading all my +18000 posts. This is a start... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...5-owners-lounge.815492/page-138#post-10760983

And I have helped a lot BGA Owner’s in PM as well. I’m interested in tech. Often 24/7/365. What’s your intention with this post... I don’t know. But it’s Up to the people have own options. I can’t change that.

I will never give up giving people good advices. If people follow them or not is up to them. I’m 100% honest in all my posting. Look around you and see the mess. If you accept it, Oh'well
    Not me.

I will never accept computers or cars can’t run as they should.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I guess part of the issue is that you say these computers are not running as they should, Intel and Dell (or any other manufacturer) would disagree. It seems more like these computers are not running as you would like them too. While I agree there are things we all want that we do not get, it is a losing fight.

Pete Light likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Of course they will disagree. I have posted this before... And this applying most OEM’s. Some worse than others. Please understand my points. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Some insights into why... How and why Dell cripple the performance

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    But you have to understand their side of things too - they have to sell a laptop people want. In most cases, lately, that is erring towards thinner and lighter vs thicker and cooler. I am not against thick laptops, loved my M17x and M18x to death (they were monsters haha) but the bulk of the buying market is glad to have a mostly functional quad/hexa-core CPU in a thin laptop and be happily ignorant. And frankly, until Intel gets their act together and gets 10nm out the door, the problem will not improve. All OEMs are trying to jump on the "thin gaming laptop" train and they are pretty much all seeing the same results - hot running and often throttling designs. Now the throttling is a design mechanism in and of itself but the problem is that it is being used as a scapegoat to make anemic cooling in thin laptops where it should really be an insurance plan that you hope you never actually need to use.

I would say the biggest problem in the case of the Alienwares since their latest design shift is not necessarily the laptop cooling itself but that atrocious 3-point mount design that should have never made it to a final product. That was just sloppy and lazy and unneeded - they could have easily made a 4 point mounting design work (Intel is guilty here too as they blessed this design and call it within spec). It is also curious that for the last few years, it has always been the CPUs that are overheating although often the GPU is a similar W/mm^2. This speaks to issues in the thermal management design around the CPUs because clearly with a better cooling design, that type of heat CAN be managed in thin laptops (and is - on the GPU side). I am staying put on my 15 R3 and completely passing on anything else from Alienware until they redesign the laptops (for real, not this marketing push that the R4 has magically better cooling for the 6-core designs) because this current gen is a bit vexxing to me. I got the 4-year warranty as an investment against a future exchange once there is a better design lol

Onetwo345 likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Its amusing people put most the blame on Intel. The blame has to be put on both sides.

Not only Alienware use/prefer the 3 point (TRIPOD) heatsink design nowadays. Many of the OEM use it today. It’s needed due the use of smaller MB PCB and the thin design. Thinner chassis designs mean less space for put in biggest possible battery and MB. The battery has to be thinner and due this the increase in footprint for the battery. On top some increased the chassis footprint due lack of thickness. Bigger battery means less space for the rest. See also... Due smaller and thinner chassis with less space... Only two ram slots and crippled 3rd ssd sloth. This even in 17,3 inches chassis.
    On top they have to change web camera placement due this madness. See if you find my post on this. Edit... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...950h-coffee-lake.810891/page-85#post-10759013

End result for most laptops today..,

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p955er-throttling.817966/page-23#post-10761072

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  9. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    The 3rd shorter M.2 slot is a head scratcher for me. And I blame Intel and Dell equally :) When they were pushed on the topic, Dell said that they are within the Intel defined spec - hence both are at fault to me. As for the PCB area needed for a 4th screw hole, they could have made it work. That would hardly be the straw that broke the camels back on motherboard PCB area. Also, since there is effectively a 99 wh cap on battery size due to TSA, only so much optimization is needed for accommodating the battery. Although I only get 2 ram slots, I will take 2 over none and soldered on ram which is becoming more common (and is a disaster from a device failure-RMA standpoint - back to Mr. Fox's point about BGA leading to very costly repairs). It has never been common to have 4 ram slots on a non-workstation laptop - my M18x had it but that thing had space to spare haha. The 32 GB max is a pretty workable limit for the vast majority of those buying these laptops. I believe the newer versions can even be fitted with 2x 32 GB for 64 GB total. The webcam dilemma is also interesting, it was a breath of fresh air to see Razer keep it up top for the new 15.6" Blade. The Alienwares right now have gratuitous bezel - one of the main aesthetic complaints against them - but Dell needs to realize that the sides and tops don't have to be identical. The top can be 2 mm thicker to house the webcam and microphones.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The tripod isnt as big as a problem as projecten as long if the thermal pads are the correct thickness and well places. I had a bigger core temperature differences with the previous non "tripod" generation.

My biggest beef with ALL laptops out there now, that they house Intel CPU's that are just not good for in laptops. Too hot, too inefficient and PCH, controllers that are essentially unfit to be cooled without a heatsink now since Intel didnt shrink its fabrication process for the PCH controllers. They become extremely hot now.